Through The Eyes Of Young Boy

Parker Hart

*Five Years Later*

"I'm not sure about this..." Mom says into the mirror, a frown planted on her face.

Today is the day this family has been waiting for, the one that should've happened a long time ago.

I crossed my arms and sucked in my breath. I've been in this stupid room for over two hours watching her freak out over the most idiotic thing. I'm not an adult but I can tell this is a pretty childish problem that can easily be resolved.

She turns around and faces me.

Roxanne Grey, my mother, and the most beautiful woman that will be in my life. Mom says otherwise, that I'll eventually find this person called a soul mate? And that my soulmate's looks will outweigh hers. I deny it every time because mainly I believe it to be true, my mother is the most beautiful person on this planet.

But she's even more beautiful in a wedding dress.

Mom's hair is pulled up into a loose bun with curls spilling out. She's wearing make-up on her face and even though I always thought that stuff was for clowns, it made her...as Aunt Sammie says glow. The dress was pretty and puffy, it had no sleeves and the top was shaped like the top part of a heart. She's wearing the necklace I bought her for last Christmas too.

"Cut it out Rox, we've waited a gazillion years for this moment." Samantha scolds. "It's time to make an honest woman outta' you."

Honest woman?

Mom scoffs. "Coming from the one who's been engaged for two years."

"I'm giving him time to change his mind, once those vows are done he's stuck with me even after the grave." Aunt Sammie chuckles.

Mom rolls her eyes. "I'm pretty sure Chase looks forward to that, he's super religious."

"Whatever." Aunt Sammie sucks in her breath. "He sure wasn't holding off sex till after marriage though-"

Mom gasped and ran towards me to cover my ears. "Not in front of Parker!"

"Why's he even in here?" She asks. "I mean, shouldn't he be with the Groom doing boy stuff?"

I looked up at her. "You mean I don't gotta' be here?"

"Oh no you have to be here." Mom informs me. "You are literally the only thing keeping me sane, you wouldn't let mommy do anything stupid. So you being here allowing this comforts me."

I'm her little knight, I've always been. Mom tells me it all the time and explains that if it weren't for me happiness would only be a dream. She says that after I was born from a disaster I've brought her nothing but infinite bliss.

So as much as I wanted to go out there and be out of this girly room, I kept quiet. "Alright mom."

She kissed my forehead.

"But baby, how do you feel about this?" Mom asks.

Both of their eyes were on me and I answered. "Can we just finish so I can get cake?"

The two burst into laughter but I didn't get what was funny.

"That's definitely all you Roxanne." Aunt Sammie says, tears in her eyes.

Mom nods. "There's my answer, let's get some cake."

→← →←