Black

Roxanne Grey

"Parker wants to sleep over?" I question my father over the phone.

He chuckles. "Well we want him to sleep over as well, if that's alright."

"I mean..." I scratch my head. "We've never been apart."

Dad replies. "You need a break here and there, you know that right?"

Its true.

I've needed a break away from my son, some time to myself. Although I get that every day I go to work, I never get to enjoy it because I'm busy. Ever since Bryon's death I've kept myself busy because if I wasn't...I wouldn't be able to cope.

So the fact that my father wants to take him out of my hands this weekend sounds like God telling me to relax.

A lot has happened in the year and I haven't had a chance to just sit down and take it in. Instead of burying and forgetting about them.

So I smiled. "Alright. Only if its no trouble for you and mom."

"None at all." Dad says, assuredly.

I let out a breath of relief. "So I'll pick him up Sunday morning?"

"Yes ma'am." He replies. "And Roxanne?"

My eyebrows rose. "Yes?"

"Enjoy this weekend and think about you." He continues. "Forget about everything right now and do what you feel-no want to do."

Something about his words left me puzzled. Where'd such a thing come from? I wanted to address it but the stress-free weekend was looking surprisingly relaxing and I can't wait to start.

So I nodded and said. "Alright dad. Tell Parker I love him and I'll be there bright and early Sunday morning for him."

"Alrighty, sugar." Dad said. "Have a wonderful weekend."

I laughed lightly. "Love you."

"Love you too, sugar."

*****

When I was younger I used to always wonder what my parents did while I slept over a friends house or visited my grandparents.

The first thing that came to mind was that dance scene from Risky Business starring Tom Cruise. It was a disturbing idea but nevertheless a funny one.

Now since I am a parent all I really want to do with this free weekend is watch movies and binge eat some snacks. So I prepared myself two banging burgers with my famous homemade fries. Then pulled out some of my favorite movies back when I was a teenager.

I pushed in Flowers In The Attic (The Original) and sat myself down. Preparing myself for a really great movie.

Unfortunately, just as I got comfortable and the movie started. Someone began knocking on the door. Which made me groan angrily, I knew this would be too good to be true. My parents must have realized Parker's true colors and decided to send him back.

So with a frown I could not turn upside down on my face, I walked to the door.

"I knew you guys wouldn't last a day with him." I say opening the door. "What'd he do-?"