Here We Go Again

- Damien Black - 

I awaken to the sound of my alarm clock.

The sound was loud and vexatious, even so, I was just way to tired to get up out of bed. Today is my first day on probation at work and Mr. Winsor has me on a tight leash. So being late just isn't going to cut it out, he would be furious with me and bite my head off.

"Uncle Damien..." The sound of a little girls voice echoes into my ear. "Turn it off."

Fuck. I forgot about her.

Amber Black, A.K.A. Donny Black's daughter and my niece. I watched the little girl awaken, rubbing her tired eyes after a night of jumping off my walls and running around the house. How the hell does Donny, my impatient brother, deal with her hyperness?

As a repayment for helping me out of jail and for taking him away from his lovely wife, Donny has asked—or commanded me to watch his daughter. While him and his wife Brooke are somewhere else, doing God knows what.

Just as the little lady asked, I turned off the alarm relieving both her and I from the irritating sounds. Then slid out of the bed and stretched out. Amber just went back to sleep, I guess I'll give her a few minutes of rest before we leave. I mean how much time does it take to get a three-year old ready?

*****

"Amber I don't know where your doll is but we have to go, I'm going to be late for work." I said, angrily.

She looked up at me, her eyes watery. Great. "Daddy bought that doll for me, I can't leave it here by itself!"

"Amber, seriously we need to go."

As expected, Amber crossed her arms and pouted. "You're mean Uncle Damien."

"We'll find it when we get back okay? Besides where your going there's plenty of dolls to play with." I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. "Please Amber."

An easy smile spreads across her lips. "Okay, let's go."

Children are far to difficult.

Finally, Amber got inside of the car and quietly sat down as I drove her to the day care a few blocks from the school. Since I obviously cannot bring a three year old to work and I can't disappoint Winsor, the situation worked out to my advantage. At least something went right.

I sighed.

It's been a few days since I've seen Roxanne, she's either not left her house or left somewhere. Admittedly I was harsh on her and shouldn't have been such an ass, but that was the only way I could let go. If I was soft, she'd only find a way to crawl back into my life and I can't afford to recklessly date her again.

Fuck. Why did this have to happen, we were just getting somewhere in our relationship, I just told her I loved her! It's like nothing wants us together and I've never been more irritated in my life about anything.

I grip the wheel, clenching my teeth before I start going crazy. I've got to compose myself, I may not care about what happens to me but Amber is highest priority. I'm not going to ruin Donny's family because I've got relationship issues, what the hell? Why is that what I revolve around? Ruining families, that can't be healthy.

"Uncle Damien?" Amber said, her voice soft. "Are you okay?"

I exhaled. "Yeah, Amber I'm fine."

"Liar, liar pants on fire." She replied, frowning.