(24) It's Nice to Have a Friend

You happily skip up to the Museum of Natural history, a beat up black sketchbook in hand. Everyday after school, you'd bike through the streets of New York to draw pictures of the exhibits at the museum. Some called it a weird hobby, but you always got the most inspiration from the history inside of the building.

You tuck a loose strand of hair that fell from your braid out of your face, and enter the building. You take in a deep breath of the museum air, and wave to the woman who works at the front desk, Rebecca. You slide your museum membership card over to her, smiling.

"Good to see you back so soon, (yn)." She says with a smile.

"You know me." You chuckle.

Rebecca's smile fades. "you know I love it when you visit, but don't you think you should try to make some friends your age?"

"Nah. I'd rather spend time with people who can't judge me." You say, waving her off. You take your card back from Rebecca, and slip it into your backpack. "I'll see you later."

Rebecca sighs. "See you soon, (yn)"

You smile as you head down the hall, hearing your steps echo down the empty halls. You felt bad that the museum hardly got any business, but at the same time it was nice to have the building to yourself. Just you and your art.

You head straight to the Egyptian wing, knowing exactly what you were going to draw. The tablet of Ahkmenrah.

As you sit down on a bench and pull out your pencils, you gaze at the tablet, admiring its shimmering gold. You slowly begin sketching out a rough draft of the tablet, before getting lost in the art. You always found a strange comfort in the sound of the lead slowly moving across the paper, and you love how such a simple object could create such an incredible masterpiece. After who knows how long, you slowly begin to add final details to the drawing, glancing up at the tablet every now and then.

As you sit back to admire your work, a golden flash averts your eyes from the drawing and too the golden tablet. You gasp in shock at the tablet, which was now glowing a bright yellow. You clutch your sketchbook to your chest, and slowly approach the tablet, almost as though you were hypnotized by its alluring glow. Without thinking about the museums 'No touching' rule, you graze your fingers across the tablets surface, and stumble back at the sudden surge of energy that goes through your body.

Suddenly, you hear a moan come from the sarcophagus, and let out a gasp. You see the lid slowly creak open, and a pharaoh slowly arises from inside. As he sits up, and he stretches, as though he just woke up from a long nights sleep. You hold the sketchbook up defensively as the pharaoh notices you. he climbs out of the sarcophagus, and approach's you slowly, a curious look on his face. You fall on your butt and slowly scoot back, away from the pharaoh, and back into a wall dropping your pencil in the process. "Please d-don't hurt me!!" You stutter. "I didn't mean to disturb your rest! Please don't rip out my organs and sacrifice me!!" You plead.

The pharaoh doesn't say anything, and slowly bends down and picks up your pencil, continuing to come closer to you.
You hold up your sketchbook again. "I have art and I'm not afraid to use it!!" You shout holding it up higher, ready to strike.

The pharaoh lifts his hand up, places it on top of the book, and lowers it down. He holds out the pencil to you. "I don't think that that shall be necessary." He gently says, giving you a smile.

You hesitantly take the pencil, and stare at it for a moment before gently tucking it behind your ear. "T-thankyou."

The pharaoh stands up and holds his hand out to you, and you take it. He easily pulls you to your feet. "My name is Ahkmenrah. Fourth king of the forth king. What should I call you?" He asks.

"My name is (yn) (yln). If you don't mind me asking, why and how did you come to life?"

"My tablet has the magical power to bring everything in this very museum to life at night. Although nobody really knows because it always closes before dark. I'm not quite sure why you're still here though..."

"I guess I just got carried away with drawing and lost track of the time..." You chuckle.

"May I ask what you draw?" Ahkmenrah asks.

You blush, but open your sketchbook to show him your drawings of the museum exhibits. He gazes at them in awe. "These are beautiful. I've never seen talent like yours, (yn)." He says.

"R-really? Thankyou." You say studying his face. The young pharaoh was quite handsome. "Is it alright if I draw you?" You nervously ask.

"I'd love that."

"Thankyou!" You say, grabbing your pencils as you position Ahkmenrah on the bench. You slowly begin sketching an outline of his face, once again getting lost in the art.

Rebecca carefully peeks her head around the corner of the Egyptian Wing. She smiles to herself knowing that her plan had worked. You finally had a friend.