(30) Family

(Modern Day AU)

You knock on the metal frame of the gas station.

One.

Pause.

Two.

Pause.

Three.

Pause.

Four.

"Almushiea." You softly say.

The door slowly opens, the gas station door beep going off in the process.

"Hey Nicky." You say with a sigh of relief.

Your twin brother hugs you. "Glad you made it back alright, sis. You know I don't like it when you go out there. You already were almost zombified once." He kisses your dust covered forehead.

You look down at your robotic arm. Seven months ago on a food run with Ahk and Nicky, a zombie cornered you and bit your right arm. Nicky had to cut your arm off almost immediately so the disease didn't spread to the rest of your body. A couple months of experimenting later, you had built yourself a robotic arm that worked just like the real thing...most of the time. "I'm fine, Nicky. I manage."

"Do you have any loot?"

You walk into the gas station and sling you satchel off. "I'll unload once we get to the bunker." You say.

Nick nods and walks with you to the storage closet. You move the cardboard box to the side, revealing the trapdoor in the floor. You open it, and walk down the steps to the dark concrete room.

Nine months ago the apocalypse began. A beaker in a science lab in Oregon broke, releasing a dangerous virus onto the world. People started getting sick. Long story short, people became zombies from said virus, and the apocalypse began.

You, Nick, Teddy, Sacajawea, your boyfriend, Ahkmenrah, and a few others all managed to escape and create a safe bunker to call home. You were the lucky ones.

As you enter the bunker, you breath a sigh of relief knowing that you were safe from the zombies for another night. "I'm back!" You call into the room.

Ahkmenrah runs up to you and frantically looks you over. "Are you hurt anywhere?" He quickly asks, only briefly stopping his health check to look at you.

"I just scraped my knee. Nothing too bad." You shrug.

Your boyfriend sighs. "I should've gone with you..."

You cup Ahk's cheek in your palm. "You know you couldn't have come. You're still healing from the last attack." You say. "Speaking of which, how are you feeling babe?" You kneel down and gently lift up the right side of his shirt. His stomach is covered in slightly red-stained bandages. You swallow the lump in your throat as you stare at his wound.

"I'm alright darling. Really." He smiles at you.

You stand up and kiss him. You reach your right arm out and grab his hand. Ahk gives you a soft smile when he sees your arm. You knew he felt bad about that night.

You and Ahk sit down next to the fire. The room is silent except for the soft Crackle of the fire. You slowly look around the group and sigh. They all looked so worn down and defeated. "Hey Sacajawea?" You ask.

The Native girl looks up at you. Her beautiful black hair is in knots and full of grime. It has been months since you had all had access to luxuries like soap and clean, running water. The only fresh water you all had was used for cooking and drinking.