(8) Stars

Many people felt sorry that you were a servant for the royal family, but you really didn't mind. You mostly worked as one of Queen Shepseheret's dressers, but you never found it to be a difficult task. Shepseheret always treated you with kindness and respect, so much so, that you looked forward to meeting her every morning.

On this particular morning, however, you were given interesting news.

As you were helping the Queen put on her white dress, she spoke up. "(Yn), you have always been a wonderful servant to me."

You give a slight nod. "Thankyou ,your majesty."

"But soon you will have a new task and no longer work for me."

You look up at Shepseheret, a bit confused by her words. Why would you no longer be serving her?

"As you know, soon my son Ahkmenrah will be finding a wife. The only problem is, he's never had any experience with woman besides his own mother." The Queen continues.

You nod your head, even though you aren't sure where she was going with this.

"So, I have decided to assign you to spend the next couple of months with Ahkmenrah. Your only task will be to spend time with him and help him to get used to being around another female who isn't his family."

At this, you drop the sash in your hands in pure shock. Quickly, you pick it off the floor and stand up. "Your majesty, I'm great full that you think that I'm worthy of such an important task-"

"Then it's settled! You'll be transferred tomorrow." She happily exclaims.

"Yes you're majesty."

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

The next day you woke up, got dressed in your nicest dress (a white dress with blue beads across the top) and did you're hair as best you could. You take a deep breath as you head to the throne room to meet Shepseheret, so she could introduce you to her son.

As you approach her and bow she says, "now lets get you dressed."

You look down at the dress that you're wearing. "What's wrong with this?" You ask.

"Nothing is wrong with it, but if you're going to be spending a day with the prince, you should wear nicer attire." She explains, gesturing for you to follow her down the palace halls.

You enter a room full of outfits that you usually only see woman of higher class wearing. Shepseheret pulls one off the shelf and sets it on a stool. She then pulls the dress you're wearing off over your head, and slips the new one on top. The Queen then brushes out your hair and ties a white ribbon through it. She puts a simple necklace with a blue stone of some kind around your neck, and puts a sash round your waist. Shepseheret adds a few bracelets for a finishing touch.

When you turn around to see your reflection, you don't believe your eyes. You've never worn anything this beautiful in your life!! You turn around to face Shepseheret, who is beaming with pride. "Thankyou so much!" You happily Exclaim, twirling in a slow circle.

"Your welcome, but we'd better get going now." She says Exiting the room. You quickly follow behind her in the direction of Prince Ahkmenrah's room.

Shepseheret walks into her son's room, to find him writing something on papyrus. "Ahkmen, I have someone for you to meet." She says sweetly.

Ahkmenrah stands up and walks to his mother. "Who is it?" He asks.

That was the first time Ahkmenrah saw you. His cheeks turn a light pink color as he looks at you.

"Son, this is (yn). She will be keeping you company for the next couple of months." Shepseheret explains. "I'm sure that you two will get along." And with that, she walks out of the room, leaving you and Ahkmenrah alone.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." You say, giving the prince a curtsy.

"The pleasure is all mine." He says.

You both stand there for a few moments before you speak up. "If you don't mind me asking, what we're you writing?"

Ahkmenrah leads you over to the table he was writing on. "I enjoy writing stories and legends about uncharted stars. It's a rather fun way to pass the time." He explains, pointing to different star patterns and writings.

"That's so cool...I've never had the opportunity to spend time stargazing before." You say, examining the papers.

"You're the first person I've shown this to that thought it was interesting. Don't get me started on my brother's opinion..." he trails off.

You giggle. "I've always thought your brother is a bit hot-headed." Almost instantly, you slap your hands overtop you're mouth, regretting what you've said. "Please don't tell anyone I said that..."

"My lips are sealed." He then leans in and whispers into your ear, "But I have very similar feeling towards my brother." He chuckles.

You giggle and smile up at the pharaoh.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

"Okay, keep your eyes closed."

"But what if I bump into something?"

"I'll be guiding you the entire time."

You bite your bottom lip nervously, as Ahkmenrah holds you're hands and guides along the palace halls.

"Alright, you can open your eyes now."

You slowly lift your eyelids up, and look around at your surroundings. You're standing on top of the palace, underneath a blanket of stars.

"Ahkmenrah, this is absolutely beautiful!" You exclaim in awe, spinning around looking at the stars. You stop and turn to face him. "Thankyou." You say just above a whisper.

"I'm glad that you like it.
I know how amazing it is to see the night sky, I wanted you to experience it." He softly says.

You feel your heart begin beating faster, and your face heating up. What is this feeling?!

"Would you like me to show you the pictures in the stars I've found?" He asks.

"Please do."

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

That night you lay in you're bed, tossing and turning. You lay on your back and look at the ceiling, and let out a sigh.

You couldn't possibly be in love with the future pharaoh...could you?