27 - The Wallet Incident

On Friday morning, Alex decided to walk around her new neighbourhood and explore. She found a little bakery that seems to have non-stop customers coming and going so she decided to give it a try.

Alex was waiting for her breakfast order, standing at the pick up counter, when a small commotion over at the cashier caught her attention.

The cashier girl was looking exasperated. The people in line were peering impatiently, wondering loudly what was causing the delay. The man at the front of the line seemed to be the cause.

He was looking flustered. Alex could her him apologising profusely in his British accent to the cashier and the people behind him, while his hands searched all his pockets. He looked like he forgot his wallet. 

Alex reached into her purse and pulled out a twenty. She handed the money to the cashier, to the man and the girl's surprise. "Is this enough to cover his bill?" she asked the cashier girl. The girl nodded and tried to return the balance but Alex waved it away. "Keep the change." The girl beamed happily before addressing the next customer in line. 

The man seemed to be speechless by the kind gesture. He was just standing there awkwardly, with his pockets turned out. 

Alex was surprised at herself too. Normally she's not this charitable. Perhaps it's all the fresh air out here.

She returned to the pick up counter where her order were all ready for her. She grabbed her coffee and croissant in a paper bag, and went to look for a table at the outdoor seating area. She found a vacant table near the back and sat down. 

Alex looked around her. The cafe was located right next to a small park. There were some people jogging along the trails. The trees were turning brown and orange this time of year. Once in a while a gentle breeze blow past, and people would pull up their collars against the chill. Alex sipped her coffee slowly while people-watching. She rarely get these free times so she wanted to take full advantage of it.

"Excuse me?"

Alex looked up. It was the man from before. He was holding two cups in his hands.

"Hello," the man said awkwardly. "Remember me?"

Alex realised that he was naturally awkward, it seemed. She smiled up at him. "Yes."

"Right," he chuckled awkwardly. "I'm Andy," he introduced himself. He gestured his right hand forward for a handshake, then remembered he was holding a cup, and meekly pulled his hand back.

"Alex."

He blinked a lot, Alex noticed, and he was swaying back and forth on his heels. Overall, he's not that bad looking. His thick wavy brown hair were tousled by the wind, he had kind blue eyes behind wire rimmed glasses, and when he smiled, his whole face lights up. Judging by his appearance, Alex could sum up that this is an ordinary man. Being in her line of work, she can estimate ones net value just from their appearance. This man standing in front of her, in brown khakis and faded blue sweater under a brown oversized jacket, could be a school teacher.

 This man standing in front of her, in brown khakis and faded blue sweater under a brown oversized jacket, could be a school teacher

"Alex," he repeated her name, to be sure. Then he added, "I, um, I wanted to thank you, for earlier, and, um, and please, allow me to reimburse your money." He said that earnestly. 

Alex leaned back on her chair and shrugged her shoulders. "There's no need. Consider it a gift for you and your wife." 

"My wife?" Andy asked, looking confused. 

Alex leaned forward with her arms folded on the table. "I'm just assuming, unless you bought two drinks for yourself?" she said while giving him a sultry smile.

Andy's reactions were exactly what Alex was expecting. He became doubly nervous, swallowing hard and incomprehensible mumbling. Alex chuckled to herself but felt a little guilty for playing with him. 

"Really," she assured him, "It's fine."

Andy seemed to manage to compose himself and flashed her that awkward smile again. "At least let me return the favour," he pleaded. He placed his cup down on the table and reached into the inside pocket of his jacket. He pulled out a name card and handed it to Alex. She took it and read the name, 'Andy Williams, Williams' Books'. Andy explained, "I own a used bookstore not far from here. Just come in anytime and get a book, on the house."

Alex smiled to herself. A bookkeeper, how suited. She sighed and nodded her head in agreement. 

Andy smiled happily and said, "Wonderful!" He nodded as he stood there awkwardly and then, not knowing what else to say, he said, "I should go now. Thank you, once again. Bye." Then he started walking away.

"Andy?" Alex called out after him and his head whipped around quickly, eyebrows raised and mouth slightly ajar. Alex held up the cup he left on the table. "You forgot this."

"Right!" he exclaimed, scrunching his face, and took the cup from her hand. He bowed his head and then walked away.

Alex found herself smiling and thinking to herself how adorable awkward Andy is.