40 - The Surprise Twist

Alex learned something during her flight from New York to London. It doesn't matter if you are in Coach or in First Class, long trips takes a toll on your body. Although, she must admit she enjoyed the attentiveness of the flight attendance in First Class. She enjoyed a few Mimosas on the flight with a plate of fresh fruits. She wouldn't have gotten that in Coach.

As she arrived at Heathrow Airport, her heart fluttered excitedly. London was still snowing even though it was late winter. She couldn't wait for spring to come. 

Alex went through immigration smoothly. Then she picked up her luggages and headed to the Arrival gates. As she approached the gates, she noticed a young bespectacled redhead smiling and waving at her. The girl was holding up a sign that says Smith.

Alex approached her, smiling politely. "Are you here for me?"

"Yes, Ms Smith. I'm Cara," she introduced herself in her thick Irish accent. "How was your flight?"

"Good," Alex replied. "And it's Alex."

"Oh, good," Cara said. "Come, I have a car waiting outside. Can I help you with your luggage?"

*****

They arrived at an apartment building in an area which Alex thought looked similar to the scenes in Bridget Jones' Diary. Alex followed Cara into the building, up two flights of stairs, and Cara unlocked the door at the end of the hallway. The chauffeur followed closely behind them with Alex's luggages.

"So, here we are," Cara announced, gesturing to the room. 

Alex was pleasantly surprised with the apartment. She was expecting something old and shabby, but the one bedroom apartment was tastefully decorated with Scandinavian designs, from the laminated wood flooring and lightings, to the modern furnitures and the kitchen. She even had a large balcony.

"So, your bathroom is over there, this is the bedroom

"So, your bathroom is over there, this is the bedroom. Washer dryer in here. Is everything to your liking?" Cara looked at Alex expectantly. 

Alex chuckled softly. "Yes, absolutely. To be honest, I was expecting much less. This is very nice. Thank you."

Cara beamed happily. "Well, I'd better leave you to rest. We will send a car to pick you up on Monday at 7.30am, and throughout the first week, just to help you settle in," Cara told her. She took a brand new iPhone out of her bag and handed it to Alex. "For you. It's already activated with a local number, which was added to our personnel directory. So if you receive a call, most probably it's someone from work."

"Before I go, is there anything else that you need?" Cara asked her.

"Nothing for now," Alex said to her.

"Okay," Cara said and turned around to leave. Then she retraced her steps and said, "I forgot something else, such a daft!" She reached into her bag and took out a piece of paper. "There's a small get together for B&G tonight, the information is on the paper. It's not far from here, but you should get a cab. Just show the cabbie the address there."