58 - The Photographer

On Wednesday morning, Alex and Paul went to work together. John delivered Paul's work clothes to Alex's apartment to save him the trouble of going back to his place to change. 

Paul held Alex's hand as they walked into the building. Alex was still worried about what people would say about them being together but she tried to ignore that feeling. Who cares what people thinks? Right?

They rode up to the 11th floor and before the doors opened, Paul leaned in and kissed Alex. "Have a nice day," he wished softly.

"You too," Alex replied as the doors opened. She looked forward and the smile slipped from her face. Caroline was standing there, her eyes shifting suspiciously between Alex and Paul. Alex smiled nervously and greeted her, "Good morning, Caroline."

Alex stepped out and Caroline stepped into the elevator. Before the doors closed, she heard Caroline mentioning to Paul, "You have a little lipstick mark on your face."

Alex quickly went to her cubicle and checked her face in the mirror. Her lipstick was smudged on her lower lip. She quickly fixed it, her heart was beating fast. Caroline knows.

Alex shut her eyes and repeated in her head over and over, It's none of their business. She remembered Paul saying that it was not against company policy for staff to date. She decided to check for herself.

Alex knocked on the door to Molly's office. She was asked to come in. She opened the door and peered inside. "Hey, it's me. Do you have a minute?"

"Of course," Molly said, smiling. "What do have in mind?" She gave Alex a cheeky grin and asked, "Do you have any juicy gossips for me?"

Alex chuckled nervously. "I have more of a query, actually," she said. "Is it true there are no inter-company relationship policy in this office?"

"Yup, that's true," Molly confirmed it. Then she grinned and asked conspiratorially, "Do you have any idea how many people are sleeping with each other here?"

Alex laughed. "I do know a few," she admitted. Then she narrowed her eyes and asked Molly, "Are you sleeping with anyone?"

Molly rolled her eyes. "There's nobody that interests me here," she said, looking bored. Then she looked at Alex and frowned, "Why are you asking?" Then her eyes widened and she asked, "Wait, are you sleeping with someone?"

Alex looked at her watch and said, "Wow, look at the time! I'm late for a meeting. Bye!" Then she hurried out the door before Molly could stop her.

Alex returned to her cubicle and checked her email. She was seated for five minutes when Cara came hobbling towards her.

"Hey, Alex. Caroline was looking for you," Cara told her.

"What? Why?" Alex asked her.

"Not sure," Cara shook her head. Then she added, "She's in her office. You should go see her."

Alex nodded. She don't see anyway she can delay this. She took a deep breath and headed for Caroline's office. She knocked on the glass door and Caroline peered up from the file she was reading.

"Come in," Caroline told her as she took off her glasses and threw it on the desk. "And close the door."

Alex did as she was told. Caroline gestured to a chair and she sat down. Caroline appraised her, with her fingers pressed together in front of her.

"How are you feeling?" she asked Alex.

Alex frowned a little. "I'm fine," she replied, a little confused.

Caroline raised her eyebrows. "You took a personal day yesterday. I assumed you were sick."

Realisation dawned on Alex. She smiled and said, "I wasn't sick. I was taking care of a friend."