65 - The Proposal

It was their last morning at Baker's Cottage. Alex and Paul woke up before dawn and was walking in the meadow, breathing in the fresh morning air and watching the sunrise. Alex hugged Paul as the ball of light slowly emerged from the ground, spreading yellow all over the place.

Alex sighed deeply. "I wish we could stay here forever," she said softly.

"I'm so glad you said that," Paul said. Alex looked up at him and furrowed her eyebrows questioningly. He kissed her tenderly and asked, "Will you marry me?"

Alex gasped, her eyes widening. She wasn't expecting a proposal. "Paul, I-"

"Before you say anything," Paul interrupted her, caressing her cheek with the back of his fingers. "I want you to know that I would do anything to make you happy, I would give you the world if you ask of me." Then he got down on one knee and looked up at her while holding her hands. "Would you make me the happiest man in the world? Will you marry me?"

Alex's sight was blurry from the tears brimming in her eyes. Her heart was racing. This is real. This is really happening. Paul was looking up at her expectantly. His chest was rising and falling fast. She wasn't sure whose hands were shaking.

"Yes," she heard herself saying, just a little louder than a whisper. But it was enough for Paul.

His face broke into the largest smile she had ever seen. He raised from the ground and pulled her into a long, deep kiss.

 He raised from the ground and pulled her into a long, deep kiss

They only broke away a few minutes later to get some air.

"I, um, I don't really have a ring yet," Paul said to her breathlessly.

"I don't care," Alex replied and kissed him again.

*****

It was late afternoon when they finally finished packing after a few rounds of post-engagement sex. 

The Wilsons came around to bid them farewell. Mr and Mrs Wilson were the first people they told in person about the engagement. They were ecstatic. Mrs Wilson proposed having the wedding on the cottage ground. Paul said they would consider it.

After loading their things in the car, they hugged the Wilsons and said their goodbyes. Alex waved at the elder couple and took a last look at Baker's Cottage. What an amazing time she had there.

She turned to Paul and asked, "When can we come back?"

He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it, whilst keeping his eyes on the road. "Anytime you want, my love."

Alex beamed at him and held his hand with both of hers. She had never felt such happiness before. She was flooded with euphoria.

"Let's talk about your ring," Paul suggested. "Any cuts you prefer? Round? Princess? Tear drop?"

"How many cuts are there?" Alex questioned, furrowing her eyebrows. Then she sighed and said, "I don't know. But I just want something simple. How about a gold band?"