69 - The Big Decision

Caroline called Alex into her office on Monday morning. 

"Congratulations again on your engagement," Caroline said to Alex, gesturing for her to sit down.

"Thank you," Alex replied. She looked at Caroline expectantly.

"I'm afraid we have a serious matter to discuss," Caroline said, taking off her glasses. "It's about your assignment. It will be ending in 3 months, if you'd recall."

Alex actually had forgotten about it through everything that was happening. She felt like she had just arrived in London a short time ago. How time flies.

"Now, I'd hate to put this on you, with everything else that's going on," Caroline said, with her hands clasped on her laps. "But I will need your decision by the end of the week in order for HR to have ample time to process the paperworks."

"What decision?" Alex asked her.

Caroline exhaled and said, "Whether you're staying here in London or going back to New York."

*****

"How am I supposed to make this decision?" Alex asked. She was pacing on the pavement outside the office while FaceTiming with Ethan and Neesha.

"Well, it's not that hard, isn't it? You're getting married, of course you need to stay in London," Neesha said.

"Just because she's getting married, she needs to stay put?" Ethan retorted. "No darling, come back to New York where all your friends are. This is where you belong."

"Don't listen to him," Neesha said, rolling her eyes. "You're going to be miserable if you're away from Paul. Long distance relationship never work."

"Who said they have to be long distance? Paul can move with here," Ethan suggested.

Neesha groaned. "He runs the London and Paris office. How can he do that if he's in New York?"

"He can commute," Ethan said simply.

Neesha rolled her eyes again. Then she smiled at Alex and said, "Honey, in the end its your decision. What does your heart say? What do you want to do?"

"Honestly, I don't know."

"Well, talk to Paul and figure it out," Neesha said kindly.

*****

That night, Alex had a talk with Paul. They were in their bedroom, sitting together in an armchair, with Alex sitting on Paul's lap. 

She had told him about her predicament and was waiting for his response. Paul had one arm around her back and his other hand was on her thigh. He was looking at her chest, but not really looking. 

Alex tipped his chin up to make him look at her. "Earth to Paul, are you still with me?" she asked jokingly.

Paul smiled and pulled her in for a kiss. He exhaled and said, "You know I can't be objective with this decision. If it were up to me, I'd keep you here in this room and never let you leave."

Alex chuckled and joked, "As your sex prisoner?"

"Hm, that sounds enticing," he said huskily and kissed her again. 

Alex rested her head on his shoulder and Paul tightened his grip around her. "I know this isn't fair for you, but I'm still undecided whether I'm ready to move my life here. I was born in America and spent 25 years of my life there. I came here thinking that this move will be temporary. Now here I am at this crossroad," Alex said and sighed. She kissed Paul's neck and nuzzled him. "I wasn't expecting to fall in love so hard."