33 - The First Date

Alex and Andy's relationship climbed up a notch after their first kiss in the small bookstore office. For weeks, that's all it was, just kissing and making out whenever they are alone, which usually means for short periods in the bookstore when Ashley was at school and there were no customers around.

Alex was fine moving slow. Her previous relationships turned physical way too fast and way too intense. She was glad that it's different with Andy. Plus, he's a really good kisser.

Then one day, Alex was sitting at the counter with Ashley, quizzing her for her upcoming spelling test. Andy walked up to them and placed a brand new copy of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory book on the counter.

Ashley looked excited. "Is that for Maya?"

"Yes, I got the book that you wanted," Andy told her. "I bought some wrapping papers and ribbons too. They are in the office."

Ashley leaped to her feet and hugged her father. "Thanks, daddy." She turned to Alex and showed her the book. "My friend Maya is having a birthday party and sleepover at her house on Saturday. I asked daddy to buy this book for her birthday present."

"I'm sure she would love it," Alex told her smilingly.

Ashley beamed and went into the office to wrap the book.

Andy looked at Alex and said, "So, about this sleepover..."

"I'm sure I'm too old to join," Alex joked with a straight face. Andy blinked at her, looking confused. She chuckled and said, "You were saying?"

"Right, right, um, I was thinking, since Ashley will be at Maya's," Andy said and rubbed his mouth with his hand before he continued, "Maybe you'd want to come over for dinner? Just the two of us?"

The memory of Allison bursting through the door suddenly appeared in Alex's mind. "I have a better idea. Why don't we go out for dinner?"

Andy stared at her like she had just proposed for them to go bungee jumping. "Right, right, I guess we can go out for dinner." A deep frown appeared on his handsome face.

"What's wrong? You don't like to go out?"

"No, I do," Andy said, "But for the last few years, going out for me meant going to Chuck E Cheese."

Alex chuckled and asked, "So you prefer to dine in?"

"No, no! Um, yeah, we can definitely go out. It actually sounds fun," Andy said unconvincingly.

Alex stood up and straightened his crooked collars. "Since you haven't been out in a while, I will choose the restaurant. And I promise you that it will be fun."

She smiled at him and he seemed to relax a little. 

"I'm sure it will be," he said, with a small smile. Then his eyes moved to her lips. He was about to kiss her when Ashley came out from the office.

"Daddy look!" she said excitedly, showing the wrapped present.

Andy immediately turned to her and gushed over her handiwork. Alex watched them from the counter with a smile on her face. She couldn't wait for Saturday.

*****

On Saturday night, Andy came to pick up Alex from her apartment. He rang the bell and waited for her to come down.

Alex stepped out from the door and she chuckled at Andy's reaction. His jaw was on the ground and he seemed to be frozen on the spot.

Alex had picked out the perfect dress for the night. A lightweight coral spring dress with pleated skirt, paired with a brown belt and brown leather gladiator wedges. She put on a denim jacket in case in gets too cold. 

"Hi," she greeted Andy

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

"Hi," she greeted Andy.

"Hello," he replied breathlessly. He cleared his throat and said, "You look, uh, your dress is, um, your, uh, your-"

While he was struggling to find the words, Alex had covered the space between them and placed her finger gently on his lips to silent him. Then she leaned in and kissed him softly. "Thank you."

He smiled nervously. Despite the cold nervous sweat, he looked really handsome in a dark brown jacket over light pink shirt with tanned khakis. He was wearing a tie. 

Alex pulled the tie off and stuffed it into his pocket. She straightened his collars and said, "You don't need that tonight."

Andy smiled wider and nodded. Then he gestured to his car and asked, "Shall we?"

"Actually, I was wondering if you won't mind walking there? The restaurant is not that far," Alex said to him.

"Right, yeah, sure," Andy agreed. He locked his car and they started walking. Alex wrapped her hands around his arm and they smiled at each other.

They arrived at the restaurant 10 minutes later. It was a cozy, casual, family style Italian place which Alex knew Andy would like. They ate pasta, drank Italian wine, and ended the meal by sharing a delicious tiramisu. Andy was relaxed and he carried conversations easily. Alex felt very comfortable being with him.

Andy insisted on paying for dinner so Alex let him. 

After dinner, they walked back to her apartment, holding hands and chatting quietly. When they arrived at her apartment building, Alex turned to Andy and asked him, "Do you want to come upstairs?"

Andy's expression turned nervous once again, to Alex's surprise. He was blinking rapidly and swallowing hard. 

"Are you okay?" Alex asked him.

"Hm? Yeah, sorry, right," he stammered, "I, uh, I'm fine."

Alex snort and commented, "You don't look fine." She wrapped her arms around his waist and coaxed him, "Tell me what's wrong."

"I, uh, I just, uh, it's just that, uh..."

He wouldn't stop stammering. Alex exhaled and released her arms. She took a few steps back while she grabbed her keys from her bag. "I tell you what? I'm going to unlock the door, and it's up to you whether you want to come in or not." Then she spun around and walked to her front door. She unlocked the glass door and held it open, looking at Andy.

She doesn't get why he was so reluctant. His feet was planted on the sidewalk. 

After 2 minutes, Alex decided that he won't be coming in. She sighed and went inside, letting the door shut behind her. She walked 10 steps when there was a loud rapping on the glass. She spun around and there was Andy, on the other side of the glass. She walked back to the door and stared at him.

"I, uh, I'm coming in," he said, his warm breath fogged up the glass.

Broken Insideजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें