47 - The Breakup

Alex had to go back to the office that afternoon even though all she wanted to do was cry in bed. She mustered all her energy and kept up her poker face for the rest of the afternoon. Thankfully, people in the office were still hung up on what happened at the book launch. Paul didn't turn up at the office that day. People were saying he took a sudden leave of absence for unknown duration and had left Caroline in charge.

That means Caroline was super busy and didn't bother Alex for the rest of the day.

Alex took that time to think about what she saw and planned what she had to do when she go home later. 

Best case scenario, Zack won't be there when she returned. Worst case scenario, it's going to get ugly.

*****

When Alex arrived home, she knew Zack was there. She could hear him moving about in the kitchen. Looks like things will get ugly.

Alex took a deep breath to steady herself before she unlocked the door and let herself in.

Zack was whistling while he stirred something in the large pot. He glanced back at her and said cheerfully, "Welcome back! I hope you're hungry. We're having spaghetti for dinner."

Alex headed straight into the bedroom and opened the closet. She started pulling down Zack's clothes and dumping them on the bed. Zack was still talking in the kitchen.

"I've had the best day. I can't wait to tell you. I got champagne for us to celebrate," Zack kept going.

Alex pulled out his luggage from her closet and brought it out into the hall. She unzipped the lid and flipped it open. She went to her room, grabbed the clothes from the bed and dumped them into the open luggage.

Zack finally noticed what she was doing. He turned off the stove and looked at her with a frown on his face. "What are you doing?"

Alex went into the bathroom and started collecting his things in there. She dumped them into the bag as well. She went back to her bedroom to see if she missed anything.

Zack followed her. He was looking worried now. "Alex, talk to me."

She ignored him and continued flipping through her clothes to see if there was any of his that got mixed in there. Zack touched her shoulder and she flipped out. "Don't touch me!" she yelled angrily, stepping away from him.

Zack took a step back and held his hands up in surrender. "Okay, I won't touch you," he said softly, "But please tell me what's going on."

Alex covered her face with her hands and rubbed her temple hard. She was trying hard not to cry. The tears will only make her look weak. She exhaled deeply and said, "I saw you kissing that woman at the gallery."

She braved herself and looked at him. Zack's frown was gone. He just looked mildly surprised. He sighed and said, "Alex, that was nothing. That kiss meant nothing. She meant nothing."

Alex scoffed and climbed on the bed. She pulled her knees up to her chest and started rocking back and forth. She shook her head and said sadly, "I can't believe I trusted you."

Zack leaned down over the foot of the bed, propping his arms up to support himself. "You can trust me. You're the only one that I love. That kiss," he said and caught himself. He sighed and said, "The kiss meant nothing. It was purely professional."

Alex looked up at him, frowning. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Zack straightened up and crossed his arms. He cleared his throat before saying, "Jenny makes the decision on which artist to showcase at the gallery. She likes me," he clenched his jaws and continued, "So I kissed her to influence her decision."

Alex was angry now. She stood up on the bed, raising tall over Zack. "You traded sex just to get your arts showcased?" she asked in disbelieve, her tone dripping with disgust.

"No! Of course not!" Zack denied angrily, "I have not cheated on you."

Alex looked up at the ceiling and started laughing in disbelieve. To him, kissing another woman was not cheating. How did she fell for this again?

She felt warm tears pouring down the sides of her face. She met Zack's gaze and shook her head. "That right there, is the very reason why we can't be together."

Zack looked shocked. "Alex, please don't say that," he begged.

Alex shut her eyes and let the tears flow. She couldn't hold them in anymore. She didn't want to.

She looked at Zack and said between sobs, "If you think kissing is not cheating, then you don't deserve me at all." She rubbed her cheeks roughly with the backs of her hands and continued, "Take your things and go. Never call me again. I want you out of my life for good."

Zack was looking at her without blinking. His eyes were turning red and she could see the tears brimming on his lids. He sniffled and turned away. Alex watched him zipped up his bag and carried it away. She heard the front door opening and slamming shut.

Alex collapsed on the bed and cried herself to sleep.

*****

Alex cried for the whole of Saturday and most of Sunday. She FaceTimed both Ethan and Neesha to tell them what happened.

"Bastard! I could kill him!" Ethan declared angrily.

"If I see him, I will smack his balls with a metal bat," Neesha threatened. "Then I will feed his balls to rabid dogs!"

Alex laughed between her tears. "Thank you, guys," she said to them, "But don't do anything stupid. It's enough that I've fallen for his stupid charm again after he cheated on me the first time. He's never going to change."

"It's his loss," Neesha said firmly.

"Yeah!" Ethan supported her, "Zack can kiss his own balls from now on."

Alex laughed again. She sniffled and said, "I just have the worse luck with men. I should just give up."

"Or become a lesbian?" Ethan suggested.

"Yeah, any woman would be lucky to have you," Neesha said supportively.

Alex chuckled. She was starting to feel a little better. "Thanks, guys. I missed you so much."

"Same here, kiddo," Ethan said and he touched the screen. Alex touched the screen as well as Neesha. It was like a virtual hug.

"Alright, I'd better go. I love you."

"We love you too."