53 - The Duplex

The second time was much better than the first. Paul showed his real skills and made Alex come twice. 

They spent the rest of the morning lounging around in the apartment. Paul was watching a game of tennis on TV. Alex was stretched out on the sofa, with her head on Paul's lap, as she read How to Kill a Mockingbird. He was massaging her head absentmindedly with his eyes fixated on the screen. 

She peered up at him and feeling her head moved, he looked down at her. "You alright?" he asked softly.

Alex smiled at him and bobbed her head. She has not felt this relaxed in weeks. Paul returned the smile and caressed her cheek with his thumb. Alex returned her attention back to the book and Paul back to the game.

A few minutes later, Paul's phone rang and he answered it.

"Can it wait until Monday?" he asked the caller. Then after a few seconds of pause, he added, "That's right, I forgot about that." Paul looked at the ceiling and clicked his tongue. 

Worried that she might be disturbing him, Alex raised from his lap and leaned on the other side of the sofa. She continued reading.

"Alright then, meet me at my place in an hour."

He hung up the phone and exhaled deeply. Then he started buttoning up his shirt.

"Who was that?" Alex asked him.

"Jackie," Paul said. Jackie was Paul's Personal Assistant. Alex has met her a few times in the office and during work engagements. Jackie was gay. "She has some documents for me to sign, so I asked her to meet me at my flat." He was done buttoning up his shirt. He got up and picked up his socks and shoes.

"Oh, okay," Alex said. Then she added, "So I'll see you tomorrow?"

Paul was turning his socks inside out. He paused when she asked that and glanced at her, a surprised look on his face. "Actually, I was hoping to spend the day with you," he explained.

Alex sat up straight. "Oh? But I thought you had to leave?"

"I do, but I thought you might want to come with me?" he queried. Then he quickly added, "Unless you're busy, which I completely understand."

Alex looked away and chuckled. She never would have thought that Paul was as sweet as he was. She thought he was smug and entitled, like most rich people she met. She completely misjudged him. 

Alex looked up at him and saw that he was still waiting for her answer, with a little frown on his face. She smiled and said, "I'd love to come." Paul's face broke into a relieved smile and he continued putting his socks on. Alex got off the couch and went to change her clothes.

John came to pick them up to bring them to Paul's apartment. He lived in Chelsea South, right beside the River Thames. John dropped them off at the lobby. Paul held Alex's hand and led her inside the building.

"Lord Baker! Good morning, sir," the young black doorman greeted Paul cheerfully.

"Good morning, Omar," Paul returned the greeting. Then he gestured at Alex. "This is my guest, Ms Alex Smith."

"Good morning, Ms Smith," Omar greeted Alex and she wished him back. "I'll add her to the guestbook."

"Very good. Is Jackie here yet?" Paul asked him.

"She arrived 10 minutes ago, sir."

"Alright, thank you."

Paul continued towards the elevators and Alex followed him. He pressed the call button and they waited.