36 - The Big Boss

Ethan shook his head and took a sip of champagne. "That is so unfortunate."

Alex had just finished telling him about Andy. "Yeah, it is." She spun the champagne around in her glass.

"After all that, I'm surprised you're still in the mood to party," Ethan commented.

Alex looked around the hall. Each year, B&G would throw two big parties, which are their Christmas party and the mid-year celebration. The mid-year celebrations were usually more fun because the theme changed each year. For that year, the theme was simply White. The hall was beautifully decorated with tall white columns, silver and white foam balls, balloons, silver tinsels and white flowers centrepieces. Everyone around them was dressed in white. Ethan looked dapper in a white suit and black shirt.

Alex had chosen a simple elegant long sleeved barebacked flowing white dress, paired with a pair of silver stilettos and silver clutch. She wore her hair into a messy side bun, soft tones makeup and white gold earrings. 

"Well, I figured getting dressed up and drinking with my best gay friend would make me feel better," Alex declared to Ethan.

"Amen, girlfriend!"

They clinked glasses and sipped their champagne. Ethan put down his glass and eyed Alex suspiciously. "Can I make an observation?" he asked cautiously.

Alex looked at him and said, "Shoot."

"You don't seem very disappointed that it's over with the librarian," Ethan said.

Alex chuckled and corrected him, "He's not a librarian, he owns a bookstore." She paused and continued, "And maybe you're right. It was too much drama and I guess I'm better off on my own."

"You didn't shed a tear for this one, did you?"

"No, I didn't," Alex shook her head, "But I didn't shed a tear for Zack, either."

"That bastard was cheating on you! If you'd shed any tears for him, I would have slapped you silly," Ethan exclaimed, shaking his head in disapproval. 

Alex chuckled and rested her head in her palm. "Two failed relationships, one after another. I'm having a bad strike. Maybe I'm cursed by Cupid."

Ethan finished his champagne and pointed the glass at Alex. "It's bad mojo. You know what you have to do to get rid of a bad mojo?"

"No, what?"

Ethan leaned in conspiratorially  and said in a loud whisper, "You have to dance around a bonfire, burn some sage and a few strands of your hair. Oh, and you have to be naked when you do this!"

Alex snorted and took away Ethan's glass. "I'm cutting you off. No more alcohol."

Ethan started to protest but then his eyes caught the new arrival to the party and he gasped. "O-M-G, I can't believe it!"

"What?" Alex asked and followed his gaze.

A tall, handsome brown haired man had just walked into the party. He looked sharp in a white blazer, black pants and black bow tie. He had an air of confidence around him.

"Who is that?" Alex asked Ethan.

"That is Lord Paul Baker," Ethan said excitedly. "He is the other half of B&G. He co-founded the company with Mr Greene and he is the majority shareholder. He manages the agency in London and Paris, while Mr Greene manages the agency here."

"How come I've never seen him before?"

"Well, he's in London! He's rarely here. This is like seeing a unicorn." Ethan said, his eyes sparkling.