25 - The Planned and Unplanned

Living with Zack was easy for Alex. She's busy working and sometimes he spends the night at his studio. Plus, sex with him was mind-blowing. 

But Alex was relieved when she finally found the right apartment, with Ethan's help. It was within her budget and ready immediately. 

When she told Zack, he was not happy. "I liked having you around," he said seriously. They were sitting at the breakfast bar, eating Thai food for dinner.

"That's sweet, but I've said from the start that this was temporary," Alex said, taking a bite of coconut shrimp. 

Zack looked at her and asked, "You don't like it here?"

"It's not that I don't like it," Alex said defensively, "But I'm always worried that one morning, I'll wake up and you've chained me to the bed."

Zack paused chewing and his expression changed. He glanced at the bedroom with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Don't you get any ideas," Alex warned him, pointing her chopsticks at him. "Or you'll be sleeping on the sofa and I'm locking that door. You can pee in the kitchen sink."

Zack laughed and continued eating. Without looking at her, he said, "I'll miss you."

"Sure," Alex replied, sarcastically.

Zack looked at her and asked, "I can still call you right?"

Alex looked back at him and smiled. "I'll be mad if you don't."

They smiled at each other with mutual understanding and continued eating their dinner.

*****

That weekend, Alex moved out from Zack's and moved in to her new apartment in Brooklyn. Zack wanted to come with her. 

Her new apartment was perfect, with exposed bricks wall, high ceiling and modern boho design. It was not large but it was perfect for her.

They had sex in the living room, kitchen and bedroom on moving day.

*****

Alex finally had some free time to go visit Neesha, Raj and Devan. She was planning to take the rest of her things to her new place as well. 

Devan had grown so much since Alex last saw him. He was crawling around on the floor, with the nanny tirelessly chasing him all over the room. Alex and Neesha spent hours catching up and sharing stories. Neesha kept pushing Alex to share about her sex adventures with Zack.

While Neesha was breastfeeding Devan, Alex went down to the garage to gather her things she stored there. She heard crashing sounds outside so she went out to look. 

Zack was having a meltdown. He was kicking the dumpster over and over again.

"Zack!" Alex called him loudly and he spun around.

His face was red, the veins on his forehead and neck was throbbing. He looked alarming.

"What's wrong? What happened?" she asked him.

Zack was clenching his fists. "I got a call from my landlord. There was a fire in my apartment."

"What?" Alex exclaimed with shock. "Well, what are you still doing here? Come on, I'll go with you. Come on!"

When they arrived at the apartment, the firemen were still there. They have put out the fires but the damage was extensive. According to the fire marshal, he suspected old electrical wires to be the cause of the fire. 

Zack looked forlorn, his jaws clenched tight, as he looked around his damaged home. Very few items could be saved. He was standing inside his bedroom, staring at the sooted and wet bed.