62 - The Lord's Anger

Alex was glad to be working away from the office. She was booked solid for the whole week for different jobs. The timing couldn't be better.

Paul has been quiet since the incident with Jesse. He has not contacted her at all. She figured that he was still angry so she wanted to give him time to cool down. Perhaps this will just blow over by itself. Or so she had hoped.

She was getting daily updates from Cara at the office. In her words, she said that Paul was being grumpy. Alex thought that was normal.

By Wednesday, Cara was starting to sound panicky. She said Paul's mood was getting worse. He was biting off people's heads in meetings, which was unusual for him. Alex began to worry.

On Thursday night, Jackie called Alex.

"I'm so sorry to bother you, but I really need your help," Jackie pleaded. She sounded desperate.

"Of course, what is it?" Alex asked.

Jackie exhaled and asked, "Could you talk to Lord Baker? Find out what's wrong? Because I'm at the end of my wits here and I don't know how much of this I can take." She actually sounded like she wanted to cry. 

"Is it that bad?" Alex asked timidly.

Jackie started sobbing, to Alex's surprise. She heard her blow her nose in the background. Jackie sniffled and said shakily, "I've never seen him like this."

Alex stared at the ceiling. She regretted letting this fester for so long. She exhaled deeply and said to Jackie, "Okay, I'll talk to him tomorrow."

*****

Alex spent the whole night strategising what to say to Paul. However, she doubt words would work with him at this point. She had to use a different approach.

On Friday morning, she went to her scheduled photoshoot, hoping that it would not drag on. Lucky for her, they wrapped up early. Alex changed her clothes to get ready to meet with Paul, without him knowing it. She planned to surprise him at the office.

Alex went to the office for the first time that week. The environment felt different than usual. People seemed stressed out. 

Alex dropped off her bags at her cubicle and ran into Cara. Cara looked stressed too.

"Hey, are you alright?" Alex asked Cara.

Cara groaned and said, "Nothing is right! I just want to go home right now." She frowned at Alex and asked, "Why are you wearing a trench coat indoors?"

"Oh, I just came in. It's cold outside," Alex answered, hoping Cara would buy her reason.

Cara shrugged and walked away.

Alex headed for the elevator to go up to the 13th floor, where Paul's office was located. When the doors opened, she headed for his office. 

Just as Alex arrived at the waiting area outside Paul's office, his Secretary, Wendy, rushed out through the open office door, looking like she was about to cry. She headed directly to the ladies room. 

Alex took a deep breath and prayed that Paul won't lash out at her. She went to his office entrance and peered inside. Paul was standing behind his desk with his back turned to the door. He was flipping through some files. Then out of nowhere, he flung the files sideways angrily, causing the papers to float across the room. He ran both hands through his hair in frustration.

Alex leaned against the door, with her hands behind her back, and asked, loud enough for Paul to hear her, "Is this a bad time?"

Paul spun around at the sound of her voice. He seemed surprised to see her, and he was not happy about it. "Wendy!" he shouted.