70 - The Unfortunate News

Paul was over the moon when Alex told him that she was staying in London. He personally talked to HR the very next day about her new employment contract. It would take effect from new year.

Alex's decision seemed to spur on Paul's sexual energy. They have been together for months and Alex have assumed there would be no more surprises in the bedroom, but she was very wrong. Paul could still surprise her there. They went to bed each night fully sated and completely drained of energy.

Since her employment was no longer a concern, Alex focused on the wedding planning. Ellen was excellent at her job. Whatever Alex and Paul requested for, she delivered. She left very minimal things for Alex to worry about.

They have decided to get married on a cliff near Paul's cottage. The ceremony would be outdoor, taking advantage of the beautiful sceneries in Spring. The wedding reception would be held on the grounds. Ellen had some sketches done to give them an idea of how the wedding would be. Alex and Paul were excited for it.

*****

It was a usual weekend for Paul and Alex. They were in their Master suite, lounging in the living area. Alex was resting on Paul's lap on the sofa, while reading Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre. Paul's attention was fixated on the tennis game on the TV, but he was caressing the top of her head absentmindedly. 

Suddenly his phone rang and he answered it. "Hello?" There was a pause as the other person spoke. Then Paul replied, "Yes, confirmed. I'll start fasting at midnight. Thank you." Then he hung up the phone.

"Who was that? Why do you have to fast?" Alex asked, peering up at him. 

Paul smiled at her and said, "That was the hospital. I'm going for my annual medical check up tomorrow. I need to fast for the blood test."

"You do this every year?" Alex asked him. 

"Yes, since my father died from a heart attack. It can be hereditary so I wanted to be cautious," Paul explained. Then his eyebrows knotted and he asked her, "When was your last medical?"

Alex shrugged and said, "When I joined B&G. That's the only time I've done it." Then she returned her attention back to her book. 

Paul pulled her face back to him by the chin. He looked concerned. "B&G's employment medical check up is very basic. You've never had a proper medical done before?"

Alex pursed her lips and said, "I do my own breasts exam every month."

"I examined your breasts very thoroughly last night, but I'm not a qualified medical examiner," Paul said pointedly and Alex rolled her eyes. Paul took out his phone and dialled a number. When the other person picked up, he spoke, "Hello? This is Lord Baker. I'd like to request to add another patient for the medical check up tomorrow. No, this is a new patient I'd like to register under Doctor Grant. Ms Alex Smith, S-M-I-T-H. Yes, same time. Thank you." Then he hung up the phone.

"Just like that?" Alex asked him.

"Just like that," Paul said grinning. Then he turned his attention back to the game.

*****

The next morning, John drove them to Weymouth Street Hospital. 

Alex looked up at the building with apprehension. "It doesn't even look like a hospital," she commented and Paul chuckled. He took her hand and led her inside. They registered themselves before being ushered into separate private rooms to start the medical examinations.

After a couple of hours, they were done. They went to breakfast before heading to the office.

*****