46 - The Book Launch

The rest of the week went smoother than Alex expected. The training with Rochelle was gruelling, but he seemed to be in a better mood when Alex came in early and get warmed up before he arrived. On the third day, he even gave her a compliment, saying that she was doing okay. Alex was proud of herself. 

Zack had been visiting the gallery owner who was interested with his arts. He was positive they will be showcasing his sculptures in spring. He was in high spirit and it showed in the way he made love to Alex each night.

On Thursday, Caroline reminded everyone that their attendance to the book launch that night was compulsory.

"What book launch?" Alex whispered at Cara.

"Lord Baker's autobiography," Cara whispered back. 

"Can I bring a guest?" Alex asked her.

Cara looked at her with a glint in her eyes. "You mean a date?"

Alex rolled her eyes, smiling. "Yes, a date."

Cara giggled. "It's a public event, so yeah, bring your date."

They smiled at each other before turning their attention back to Caroline.

*****

Alex arrived at the book launch with Zack. She wore a white layered Cleopatra style white gown with gold heels and gold clutch. She wore her hair up in a messy bun. Zack was looking dapper in a dark brown blazer over off-white turtle-neck sweater and black pants. He combed back his hair for the night.

Zack grabbed a couple of champagne for them and they stood at the side, watching the people around them. 

"So, these are the people you work with?" Zack asked, sipping his champagne.

"I don't know these people," Alex told him honestly. They looked at each other and laughed. Then Alex saw Cara waving at her from across the room. She waved back.

Cara weaved through the crowd to get to Alex. She was dragging Barry along with her. "Alex! You look great!" she said excitedly, hugging Alex. Cara was wearing a red Cheongsam with high slit. She even had a couple of chopsticks in her bun. Cara turned to Zack and Alex could see her blushing a little. "Hello, Alex's boyfriend."

Zack grinned, flashing his swoon-worthy dimples. "It's Zack," he introduced himself, shaking her hand.

"Cara," Cara introduced herself. She couldn't take her eyes off him. Alex took a sip of champagne to hide her smile.

Barry went up to Zack and he chuckled. "Zack, mate! Glad you made it."

"Bar, my man!" Zack grabbed his hands and they bumped shoulders. Alex frowned. It seemed like they were old friends.

Cara looked at her phone and groaned. "Sorry, I'm needed somewhere else. Come on, Bar!" She went back through the crowd, pulling Barry along with her.

Alex turned to Zack and narrowed her eyes. "So, you know Barry?"

Zack looked at her and grinned mischievously. 

Alex sighed as the realisation hit her. "Cara is sleeping with Barry. Barry knows you. So, Barry was the one who gave you my number and my address," she concluded. "Am I right?"

Zack took a deep breath and exhaled. "Yup," he replied. He turned to her and tucked a stray hair behind her ear. "Are you mad?" he asked softly.

Alex rolled her eyes. "No, I'm not mad," she said sarcastically. 

Zack tipped her chin and smiled at her. "I'll make it up to you later at home," he promised her. He leaned in and added softly, so that only she can hear him, "I'll do it over, and over, and over, until you scream for me to stop."