1 - The Abandoned Child

Sixteen years old Alex Smith was seated under the biggest tree behind the gym at her high school. It was her favourite spot. Even under the hottest sun, the tree keeps the ground cool and shaded.

She was reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee that fine afternoon. When she reads, Alex gets pulled into the story. She was so immersed in the book that she didn't hear the group of boys coming up to her, until one of them spoke.

"Hey."

Alex looked up abruptly. She wasn't expecting to be interrupted. Nobody usually comes back there. She was more surprised when she realised who it was. 

It was Colin, one of the popular boys from her class. He was a jock, with blonde hair and blue eyes. He played football and lacrosse. He was the ultimate American boy. So why was he speaking to her?

She glanced behind him. His three posse were huddled together, watching them and laughing. She sighed and looked up at him. "What do you want, Colin?"

"What are you reading?" he asked, flashing her a toothy grin. 

"Why do you care?" she asked flatly.

Colin chuckled nervously. "Okay... I can see that I'm disturbing your peace. So, I'm just going to say it." He took a deep breath and asked, "Will you go to the Junior Prom with me?"

Alex looked at him and sighed deeply, before she got up to her feet. She collected her things and swung her old, raggedy bag over her shoulder. She looked at him squarely in the face and said, "Go ask someone who cares."

Then she turned around and walked away. She could hear the other boys laughing.

Alex thought that was the end of it, but at the end of class, Colin approached her again at her locker.

"Can I talk to you?" he asked.

Alex noticed his posse was not around. She slammed her locker shut and walked away. "I have nothing to say to you."

"Alex, wait," Colin said, blocking her path. "I was serious before. I want to go to prom with you."

"Leave me alone," Alex hissed at him and walked around him.

He followed her out the main doors. "Alex, could you please hear me out, just two minutes." When Alex kept walking, he pleaded, "Please..."

To his surprise, Alex slowed down and glared at him. "120 seconds."

"Okay! Cool, um," Colin paused for a few seconds. He thought he knew what to say but at that moment, his mind went blank.

"90 seconds."

Colin shut his eyes and raked his brain. Then he opened them again and spoke quickly, "I think you're great. You're smart, you're always at some corners reading and not caring what's happening around you. You're different, in a good way. I think you're someone worth knowing. So, will you go to prom with me?"

Colin looked at Alex hopefully, his blue eyes shining with anticipation.

Alex took a deep breath and exhaled. Then she said, "Your two minutes is up." Then she walked away.

Alex tried to keep her cool, but she couldn't stop thinking about the things that Colin said as she walked home. As much as she wanted to believe him, she knew this could end up like Carrie. Unlike Carrie, she doesn't have telekinetic powers. But somewhere within her, there was a glimmer of hope. 

Maybe Colin really is a nice guy? Maybe he truly wants to go to prom with me?

Alex sighed and shook herself back to reality. Life has been hard for her for as long as she could remember. She was born into poverty. Her father, the sole provider for her family, passed away when she was two years old. Her mother struggled to make ends meet and ended up mixing around with troubled men. By the time Alex was six, her mother had become a victim of substance abuse.