10 - The First Celebration

Six hours later, Alex exited the building, feeling drained of energy. Just like what Jesse said, it was rough. When she arrived, they put her in makeup and hair. After that, she was dressed up and they took some pictures. She must have put on and take off at least 40 outfits. But she didn't complain and kept up until the end.

Now that it was over, she finally felt the tiredness and hunger. She also had to figure out how to get back to the apartment. She was too tired to walk all the way so she has to take the bus.

"Alex."

She turned around at hearing her name. Jesse walked up to her, smiling, with his hands in the pockets of his black leather jacket.

"You're still here?" she asked him.

He just grinned and asked her, "How was it?"

"Just like you said," she replied, smiling back.

"You must be starving," he gathered, "And could barely stand on your feet."

"Jesse, are you reading my mind?" Alex asked and Jesse chuckled.

"No, just based on experience," he replied. "So you're ready to go?"

"Yes," Alex replied and started walking. Jesse fell into step beside her. "I hope there's still food at the apartment," she said with a sigh.

Jesse looked at her and said, "I've got something better. This way."

Alex let him lead the way and she followed suit. A few minutes later, they arrived at a huge open lot with multiple food-trucks set up within the compound. Make shifts seating areas were littered across the space. It was crowded with people enjoying their food and the music playing from the loudspeakers. Alex felt like she was at a carnival.

They walked up to a black truck named Tito Tacos. Jesse stood under the window and shouted, "Yo, Tito!"

The large Mexican man turned away from the grill with a frown on his face. Upon seeing Jesse, he broke into a grin. "Jesse! Good to see you man." They fist bumped through the open window.

"This is my friend, Alex," Jesse introduced Alex, who was standing a few steps behind him.

Alex flashed a smile at Tito. "Hi."

"Hey, beautiful," Tito said with a nod. Then he turned to Jesse and smacked his large hand on the counter. "So, what will it be?"

Jesse rubbed his hands together as he skimmed through the handwritten menu on the blackboard hung up outside the truck. He turned to Alex. "What do you want?"

Alex saw the prices on the menu and knew she couldn't splurge, no matter how hungry she was. So she gave him a tight smile. "I'm not hungry."

Jesse sized her up and smiled. Then he turned to Tito. "Alright my man. Two fish tacos, two prawn tacos, jalapeño poppers, churros and two lemonades."

"Guac?"

"You know it!"

Tito rang up the total and Jesse paid him. Tito served the lemonades first, in clear plastic cups. "I'll send the rest to your table," he said.

"Thanks, man." Jesse handed Alex her drink and then took her free hand. He guided her between tables until they found a vacant one and they sat down.

Jesse took a sip of his lemonade and looked around. He noticed a few girls glancing his way and he ignored them. He looked at Alex and noticed she was being quiet. She hasn't touched her drink. Her eyes were downcast.

"You okay?" he asked her.

"Just tired," she said with a tight smile.

Jesse took another sip and set his cup down. "Tito makes the best tacos in town. I swear, you'll love it."

Alex sighed and looked up at him. "You didn't have to do this."

"Do what?"

"This," Alex said, gesturing around them. "There's food back at the apartment. I could've eaten there."

She thought he would be upset but he was grinning at her.

"What?" she asked him.

He exhaled and smacked his lips. "Believe it or not, I know what it's like."

"What do you mean?"

Jesse crossed his arms on the table and leaned forward. "To be down on your luck, wondering how to afford your next meal."

"With a face like yours? I doubt it," Alex said.

Jesse grinned wider and chuckled. "I take that as a compliment," he said and was glad to see Alex smiling a little. "But I do remember what it was like, to struggle to survive. I found a friend who helped me through that time and I'm grateful for him. So if I can help you, even just a little, then I'd do it."

Before Alex could reply, Tito arrived with their food on a tray. "Here you go, folks. The chips and salsa is on the house for the lovely lady," Tito said, winking at Alex. She chuckled and grinned at him.

"Thanks, man," Jesse said and they fist bumped again. They watched Tito walked back to his truck. Then Jesse rubbed his hands together and said to Alex, "Alright, dig in."

Alex looked at the spread in front of her. "This is a lot of food."

Jesse shrugged and popped a jalapeño popper into his mouth. "We're celebrating," he said in between chews.

Alex frowned. "Celebrating what?"

"Your first gig," Jesse said with a smile. He lifted his cup for a toast, "And many more to come."

Alex couldn't help but smile. He's charming and he knows it. She lifted her lemonade and tapped their cups together. Then she took a sip. The drink was perfectly sour and sweet, and it was so refreshing. She took another long sip.

Jesse grinned and ate another popper. Then he pushed the paper plates towards her. "Here, try the tacos."

*****

They took a cab back to the apartment. After such a long day, climbing four flight of stairs felt like climbing Everest to Alex. When she finally got to the top, she rested against the wall and muttered, "I hate these stairs so much!"

Jesse chuckled and said, "You'll get used to it."

"I don't want to get used to it!"

Jesse laughed and grabbed her arm. "Come on, let's get you inside."

She dragged her feet all the way to her room. She unlocked the door and swung it open. 

"I bet you're happy to see your bed," Jesse remarked with mirth.

"You have no idea," Alex responded, leaning against the doorframe. She looked up and noticed Jesse was smiling at her. She smiled back. "Thank you for today," she thanked him earnestly.

"You're welcome," he replied. 

They exchanged a look and she noticed his eyes were on her lips. She automatically licked them. 

Jesse was on her in a blink. His lips were pressed firmly against her, as well as his whole body. She wrapped her arms around his neck and returned his kiss. She opened her mouth, letting him in and felt their tongues intertwined in her mouth. 

They broke apart only after running out of air. Both of them were panting hard. 

He planted a gentle kiss on her lips and whispered against them, "Good night."

Then he took a step back and grinned at her. He turned around on his heels and headed for his room. 

Alex sighed deeply. She went inside her room and closed the door behind her.

She slept soundly that night.