Chapter 8 - Buddy

ABIGAIL

The only hope I hold on to as I stand in front of this place is that good company will make things different. I bought new workout clothes to convince myself that it won't be so bad. Dennis walks in with a gym bag hanging from his shoulder and fits perfectly in this environment with his fitted t-shirt and athletic sweatpants.

"Good morning, Abigail. I'm so thankful you are joining me today," he says as he gives me a half hug.

We rarely get close and personal with clients, unless you count the times Thomas has been a man-slut with bridesmaids, but when Dennis called to ask if I was interested in being his gym buddy, I felt I couldn't say no. I thought it was also a good opportunity to get to know him and his tastes better with the side benefit that it might help us further with his peculiar wedding planning.

"I believe I should be the one thanking you. I have zero motivation to workout and my brothers can't be bothered to come here with me."

"Thomas doesn't exercise?" He asks as he opens the door of the gym for me.

"Not at all. What's unfair is that he lives on crap and doesn't gain weight. I think his cat eats healthier than him. I smell a doughnut and suddenly my trousers don't fit," I say and he chuckles at my misfortune.

After placing our stuff away, Dennis and I begin our workout by running on a treadmill. I found a playlist to stream that gave me positive vibes and I believe will help me enjoy the torture. Every woman around me looks as if they have jumped straight from the pages of a fitness magazine and are barely breaking a sweat as they run faster than me. Dennis glances at me from time to time and smiles. Even if I'm not fond of exercising, it feels good to do it for someone else.

We met a few days ago with Valerie, who had put together some mood boards for the wedding decoration. It was one of the most pleasant meetings I've ever experienced. He was so excited about the ideas, had plenty of questions and even some valid suggestions. Like Amber, Valerie isn't fond of anyone directing her, but she was enthusiastic about his feedback and promised him a unique and beautiful look for the wedding reception. Dennis and I kept talking outside the studio and had a good click and great laughs. That's why when he called I said yes, even though right now I look like a clueless idiot trying to take the pin out to set the weights lower on a machine. An advantage is that there's always someone around willing to help and, in my case, an incredibly hot guy, who in one quick movement took the pin out and gave me a tip on selecting the right weights.

"Looking at him made me sweat more than this," I say to Dennis, who pushes weights with his legs in the machine next to mine.

"Unfortunately, he won't sweat for you," he laughs. "He's been showing off for that guy over there."

I follow Dennis's gaze and see my hot helper chatting with a trainer and I wish he looked at me the same way he does that guy.

"No luck for me today."

"Let me treat you to breakfast to deal with the disappointment," Dennis smiles cheekily.

"Only if I get to pick the place."

Dennis and I make a deal and hit the showers. When I come out of the changing rooms, I find him standing by the reception looking incredibly handsome in his suit. He chats with the reception girl, who stares at him in awe, and I feel bad for her, because I know his heart belongs to Carter.

"Where are we going?" He asks as I approach him.

"O'Brien's. Fresh food, best coffee," I reply as we walk out of the gym.

We get in our respective cars and head into town. O'Brien's is one of the few places with a parking lot at the back, the advantage of being in the same building and neighborhood for generations. We walk inside and find Marissa talking with Luke Redmont, their new pastry chef.