Chapter 16 - Mail

JAMES

On Wednesdays, we have artists coming into the radio station with their band to play a few live songs during the show. Today we have Pinch of Postal in the studio and every time they come to promote something, it's so much fun. While they play their single 'I Wish I Could Score With You', Bree elbows me and hands me a paper napkin.

"What is this for?" I look around to see if I've spilled something.

"To wipe up the drool. You've been staring at Lexy for so long, I'm thinking you are fifteen and have never seen a girl in your life."

"She's hot. I can't help it," I say while Bree nods.

"Yup, I agree with that. Even I get doubts about George when I see her," she laughs.

Lexy is the ideal image of a rock star, but without the nasty behavior. Her blue hair cascades down her back, dark eyes are accentuated by black and red makeup, and her lips are the darkest shade of red. And yes, I have a crush on her and wouldn't mind peeling those tight leather clothes while she sings to me.

The song ends and we go to a commercial break. Lexy bends over the coffee table to grab a drink and it gives me a view of her perfect butt.

"Jimmy? Dammit! Are you even listening to me?" Bree snaps her fingers in front of my face.

"Uh? What?"

"Aaron said to go by his office after your shift ends," she grimaces.

"What the fuck does he want? I've kept the show as PG as possible. Been a fucking saint lately."

"Maybe he wants to say exactly that. He was in a cheerful mood when he asked me to deliver the message."

Aaron Green, the programming director for the station, and my boss, rarely calls you to his office to say nice things. When he comes into the studio while I'm busy with my segment, I definitely know I've fucked up and that's exactly what happened on the day of the discussion about my fake virginity. He took me aside during the commercial break to tell me that my private matters and sexual life are not to be discussed on air. That it reflects on the reputation of the network and that people were calling to complain about the inappropriate topic. I was madly pissed because I didn't start it. It was all because that woman called and it was all out before I could even mute her. I feared for my job when Eric suggested the idea of people writing to be selected for a date, but Aaron found it a fantastic one and didn't fire me on the spot.

"Aaron, you can't be serious," I said, but the way he grinned told me it wouldn't end well for me.

"Morgan, it's that or your job. People need to forget about all the pervert things they heard this morning. Make your date picks as romantic as possible, and that's all they will remember. I need to speak to marketing. We need to update the promos ASAP."

And that's the last conversation we had. I love my job and I couldn't let something that happened in my personal time ruin it. I have heard nothing ever since and I hope that all is forgotten.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to Coffee Time with Morgan. Pinch of Postal is with us in the studio today and here they are with their latest song 'Started With A Pink Bag'! Their newest album will be available on May first. Give it up for them!"

Everyone in the studio joins my clapping and Lexy winks at me as she takes her place behind the microphone. Ozzie sings the sweet power ballad and when I look at Bree next to me, I find her with her mouth open and on the brink of tears.

"Are you okay?" I feel concerned because Bree isn't the kind of girl that cries during a song.

"Yeah," she smiles. "I think I just found my first dance song."