Chapter 9 - Proposal

JAMES

The crowd dancing wildly at the dreaded Valentine's Day wedding has become my private entertainment. The people are fun and have indulged me in every one of my requests to fill the dance floor.

When Thomas approached me last year to brief me, I assumed it would become a tacky event. I imagined all the cliched things associated with the holiday day and I'm glad that my assumptions were wrong. In front of me is a cozy winter lodge theme. Couches with red fleece throws occupy the sides of what's usually a plain rental hall. On the reception tables, beautiful red roses and wooden heart accents give a nod to the day of love without being too obvious. The delighted faces of the guests when hot chocolate with marshmallows was passed in enamel cups were something I enjoyed. My brother always underestimates his creativity, and right now I'm seeing a wedding that people will talk about for a long time.

Didier gives me a nod as he walks by with a tumbler filled with watered down cola that passes as whiskey. To the guests at this party, he looks like one more of them, but for us, he's fulfilling the important task of keeping the mothers-in-law at opposite sides of the room. Abi and Thomas made the best decision about hiring him. My siblings are visibly relaxed knowing they won't have to deal with the back-office stuff and have gained extra help for events. I got to meet him briefly, and he left an excellent impression on me.

Will had stationed himself behind the bar and serves drinks while monitoring two guests nearby who had too much mulled wine and might need a taxi to get home. A notification pops up on my phone and it reads 'Bouquet throw in two minutes'. I scan the crowd and find Thomas with his phone in his hand and I give him a thumbs-up to let him know I got it. My notes say that the bride picked "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" from Cindy Lauper. A welcome change to 'putting a ring on it' that I've been playing at every wedding lately. Fading into the song pick, I grab my microphone and address the crowd.

"Is everyone having fun?" The drunken cheer is fantastic and makes me smile. "Mrs. Howard Murphy, come and join me here and don't forget to bring your beautiful throw bouquet. I also want all the hot, sexy, and single ladies here tonight to join us on the dance floor. Let's see who's the lucky one!"

The song plays while some bridesmaids and other ladies gather on the dance floor. On a table nearby, a guy I've been eyeing all night crosses his arms and is one moment away from rolling his eyes. A stiff looking woman sitting next to him leans in and says something in his ear. For the first time, I see him smile.

"Are we ready, ladies? To the gentlemen here tonight, please look at this group and check that your wives have not sneaked in," I say and the guests laugh. "Mrs. Murphy, are you ready? Come on, warm up that arm and lean back. I've seen too many bouquets stuck to the ceiling. On the count of three, one... Two... THREE!"

I always brace myself mentally during this part of a wedding. All the women in the tight shiny dresses suddenly turn into barbarians trying to get those flowers. A triumphant arm clutching the bouquet rises out of the tangle of limbs.

"What's her name?" I ask the bride.

"Angela," she smiles in approval.

"Ladies and gentlemen, our flower warrior... ANGELA!!!" People clap and I queue another song as the ladies stand up and straighten their clothes, trying to look civilized. "Diane, who's that guy sitting there?" I point towards the table with my chin.

Diane chuckles. "That's my cousin Grayson. Is he being his sour self? I don't even know why he came. He hates weddings."

"Maybe I'll have him dancing by the end of the night."

"That would be a miracle," she laughs.

My phone lights up again with a message: 'Garter throw in two minutes'.