Chapter 31 - Secret

CARTER

Dennis' warm and slightly smelly breath on my face wakes me up. I don't mind. He sleeps peacefully and the light coming from the gap in the curtains behind me falls on his face. The fading scars from the day he was attacked are visible; on top of his lip, on his cheek, the bridge of his nose, and above his eyebrow. Last night, he forgo his body image insecurities and we made love for the first time.

Since Dennis found his calling as a teacher and his doctor changed his medication, he's happy and relaxed most of the time. Going to the gym with Abigail has provided him a trustworthy friend and encouragement to exercise, which is not only good for his body but also for his mind.

After a hard day at the office, I came home tired and hungry. Dennis had cooked, and I felt grateful not only for the excellent meal, but for the good listener he is. He also told me his team is late to qualify for the finals of the volleyball competition, but they make good chances for next year. He seemed to have been holding onto some information. The excitement in his face was betraying him, and laughed when I called him out. Didier had arranged performers for our wedding. He seemed to mentally brace for my reaction. A circus-themed wedding makes me feel out of my comfort zone, and circus acts are really pushing it. But he was so happy and enthusiastic about it and that is all I want for him, so I told him I'm glad they could arrange something on short notice and that I'm looking forward to it.

After a shower, we crawled into bed to watch a movie. My hand was on his thigh as usual and when he moved it up to his crotch, I was plenty surprised.

"I wanted to give myself to you after the wedding, but seems the plans are changing," he said playfully.

We began making out while removing our clothes, and his trained muscles flexed under my touch. I couldn't hurry this moment, because even though I was not expecting it and was willing to wait forever, it was finally happening. Dennis had a blissful smile the whole time we were making love, and I could watch him be like that for the rest of our days. The movie we started watching was long forgotten, and we fell asleep, sweaty and tangled. I woke up in the middle of the night to turn the TV and the rest of the lights off in the house. When I came back in the bedroom, I found him awake, sitting on the bed and ready for a second round.

Noticing the time on the clock, I give him a kiss on his cheek and he stirs.

"Hey, you," he gives me a lazy smile and stretches. "You were wild last night," he chuckles. "Where did you learn those moves?"

"Moves? I didn't know I had any," I sit in bed and try to remember what exactly I did last night to repeat it when we get a chance again.

"Oh, but you do. It's Saturday. Why are we up already?" He asks as he checks his phone.

"I need to go to the office and didn't want to leave without you knowing. It's related to the project I was telling you about last night and that we are due presenting on Monday. I should be back around six. Hope you don't mind."

"I'll be okay. I was planning to go to the mall and I know you are not fond of the crowds there. I'll make sure to be back on time for dinner. Would you like me to bring you something from the food court? That lasagna you like so much?"

"Sounds good."

"And who knows?" He stands up from the bed and looks at his reflection in the mirror. "Maybe we will be in the mood again," he lifts an eyebrow suggestively, making me laugh.

After breakfast, I head to the office and spend many hours making ridiculous changes to perfectly good drafts. The thought of spending a nice night with Dennis is the only thing that keeps me going. Fed up with work, I decide to surprise him with the strawberries dipped in chocolate he likes so much. I drive downtown and Marisol, the chocolate shop owner, looks happy to see me.