Chapter 35 - Fairgrounds

JAMES

Will helps me to place the last equipment in my van to then head up to the fairgrounds in Lonstino. I've never played at a wedding outside of Greenwood and hope I have everything I need for Carter and Dennis' wedding.

"Is that everything?" Will pushes a speaker further in the already packed van.

"According to my list. If I'm missing anything, I hope that's something Brian Connor can help me arrange."

Brian Connor, the fairgrounds manager in Lonstino, has been incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about the equipment I need for a tent wedding at their park. He's also been kind enough to allow me to park the van next to his house on the grounds. I found out that the hotel in the town only has an underground garage that isn't tall enough for my van.

"Let me get the reception stationery out of my car. I could only print and cut the seating cards yesterday since Abigail had a few last-minute guest additions," he says and then walks to his car in my driveway.

"Isn't there a cutting date for that? I know you are flexible, but it also means extra catering and everything else. I even heard Didier giving a number on the phone like a week ago to the rental company."

"Miles, Carter's best man, has a date. You never know, they can become potential clients," my brother smiles while he gets boxes and a small suitcase out of his car.

"Oh, shit!" I hurry inside the house and my brother follows me. "I haven't packed. I forgot we are there from today until Sunday afternoon."

Will laughs and heads to my bathroom to pack toiletries while I run around, grabbing clothes from my drawers.

"Grayson reminded me. I've been so fixated with the equipment I completely forgot."

"Did you pack enough underwear?" Will asks while trying not to laugh. "If you shit yourself again, I won't lend you one of mine."

No one will let me forget that. When we were kids, we went camping in the woods nearby our house. I didn't know I was about to get a stomach bug. Mom asked me several times if I packed extra underwear. I lied and said yes. The only pair I had was the one I was wearing because my bag was full of candy, comics, and extra batteries for my flashlight. When nature called, I got in trouble. Will had to lend me a pair of his that were too big for me, and I had to do a walk of shame back to the house with a soiled pant.

We put the last things in the van, make sure I locked everything, and head to Lonstino.

"You are too still. What are you thinking about?" Will asks.

"About the time when Ma and Pa took us to Lonstino and now we are planning her wedding with Seamus. It feels odd."

"I know. I'm surprised myself, but she looked happy when we were home for dinner. We have all gone our ways and she could use the company. I just never pictured Papa O'Brien as romantic or anything related to that. Whenever I go by the bakery, the greeting I get from him is a grunt. It was the same at the dinner," he laughs.

"He hates us, but is in love with Ma. Weird man. I also remembered about us buying taffy. At least I think it was taffy. Some candy that tasted like caramel apple and Pa liked one that I found gross. I don't believe I've eaten anything as tasty as that apple one. I hope the place is still there."

"It was long ago and things change. Pa liked the ones that tasted like bananas," he sighs. "If he could see us now."

"I still miss him. You know? I can only hope we are making him proud wherever he is."

"I'm going to sound insane, but sometimes at the shop, I feel his presence. It doesn't feel scary, or anything, but somehow I can smell his cologne at times."