Chapter 14 - Problem

THOMAS

Even though we are open to planning any kind of event, we don't do engagement parties often. We outdid ourselves with this one and it's likely because we like Dennis and Carter so much. The caterer is setting up and I hope he has tons of leftovers we can bring home. I appreciate the fancy menus we have at weddings, but this company makes the stuff that I love. We have everything from burgers to hot dogs and chicken dippers, but with an adult twist. The old machines at the diner counter are whirring once again and if I have the chance, I'll get me a vanilla milkshake.

In the areas close to the lanes, we've tied silver balloons with the groom's initials filled with helium, and in front, Jimmy has set a small DJ booth to play some fun oldies during the evening and to narrate the big bowling competition. Abigail's jukebox is a fantastic decorating touch, something that I always thought the alley lacked. We all look fantastic in our black bowling shirts with the Morgan Events logo embroidered in light blue. After Didier placed the order for the grooms, I felt we also deserved a treat to match the party theme.

We are ready for whatever happens today. Dennis and Carter will arrive first, and then their parents and then their siblings. Will came up with a brilliant idea of putting a different time on their invitations. In this way, we can make the proper introductions and have them get acquainted before the rest of the guests arrive. It will also help us deal with any issues in a closed environment if things go to shit and not in the presence of the rest of the guests. Everything seems under control right now, and only the pastries delivery and some printed items that Will is bringing are open in my checklist.

"Thomas, where would you like me to put the pastries?"

Marissa rolls a trolley cart inside stacked with boxes. Today her hair is loose and not in the usual braid, and I'm surprised to find that when she isn't wearing a boxy chef jacket, she has more curves than I expected.

"Oh... Yeah, the pastries go on that table..." I point at nowhere in particular.

"I believe you need to be more specific," she laughs. "There are like eight tables in here."

"Ha! Yeah, I should have been clearer. On this one," I bring her to the table we have chosen for the sweets buffet and try my best to hide that I feel like an idiot.

Marissa gets to work, making fast work of displaying the pastries by type. "I'm sorry for being late. Luke and I were making good time until one oven started giving problems. He prepared everything, and I finished baking them at my house while getting ready for my date. The important thing is that we made the deadline and I believe Dennis will be pleased."

"You know Dennis?" I ask, feeling curious.

"Abigail brought him once for breakfast and he's become a regular ever since. He's such a sweetheart. When she said that he wanted us to cater the sweets for the engagement party, I was more than happy to oblige."

"I see. And where is your date taking you?"

"Dinner and a movie, the usual."

The idea of Marissa dating another guy annoys me. In all the years we've known each other, it never crossed my mind that she might have a boyfriend. One that Papa O'Brien approves of, since he seems to hate me more than my brothers.

"Well, have fun with your... Boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend?" She laughs. "He is a customer I met at the bakery this week who had the guts to ask me out."

The loud laughter that can only belong to Dennis becomes the distraction Marissa needs to excuse herself to head to her date. It bothers me she's going out with a random man, but I shouldn't let that thought distract me from today's event. Dennis and Carter walk inside the bowling alley wearing the shirts we ordered for them and take some time enjoying the fun atmosphere we've created.