Chapter 22 - Fifth Date

JAMES

It's too bad that I wasn't available to help at the wedding last Friday. Abigail called me to vent about everything that went wrong; the fighting moms, missing tablecloths, weird candle holders, and the comedian who didn't get to the airport. All of that pales in comparison with the father of the groom dropping the divorce bomb during his toast.

Friday was my fourth date and I couldn't get out of it. All the ladies I've met have been beautiful and sweet, but I'm not looking for a serious relationship at the moment. At least none of them made me change my mind. We had good laughs and enjoyed ourselves, but I made it clear to them I didn't want them to feel disappointed for not calling them again after the date. They understood my situation and the tight spot I was placed at the station and just felt happy and flattered that I spent time with them.

Today I'll go on my fifth and last date, a lunch this time. Aaron has made me depart to all the dates from the station because he doesn't trust that I'll comply. Today he has nothing to complain about because I'm leaving right after my shift and I'm even wearing my neat clothes already instead of my usual t-shirt and jeans. I didn't read the letter that accompanied the photo of this girl I believe I've met before since Bree picked her for me and I trust her, so naturally, I'm curious about her.

"Looking handsome, Jimmy. The girl is waiting at the reception and looks lovely. Have fun and I'll see you tomorrow," Jeanette says as I come out of the studio.

Jeanette and Bree have kept me in one piece during this total disaster. The only thing they have requested is a detailed recount of my dates, which hasn't been a big deal since Abigail also wants that all the time. I take a deep breath before the elevator doors open, put on my best smile, and head to meet Emma.

I find her sitting at the reception. Her hair is in a neat blond bob, and she looks at her lap while twisting her fingers nervously.

"Hello, Emma," I approach her and admire the pretty navy blue lacy dress with the neat heels she's wearing.

"Hi," she stands up and gives me a smile.

"Are you ready for our date? I've chosen a casual trattoria. The portions of pasta are huge! They also have salads and lighter meals if you are not into that."

"I like pasta," she says, and her voice is sort of deep.

We get in my car, which smells great thanks to a deal I made with Aaron that if I would take women out, the least he could do is to pay to have my car cleaned.

"Now tell me, why did you write to the radio station to have a date with me?" I ask her, just as I've done on my previous dates.

"They put you in a difficult situation and were under pressure, yet you stayed calm and managed the situation in a dignified way. I find it exceptional qualities in a person on how they respond to unexpected situations. I didn't write immediately and took some days to think about it. Wasn't even sure my letter made it on time, so I was glad when I received the call from Jeanette to arrange a day and time. So thank you for choosing me."

"You should thank Bree. She was helping me choose dates and thought you were the right match. I was so incredibly overwhelmed by the response that I asked her to help me." I take a glance at her and wonder what she's thinking. Her hair hides her face partially.

We keep the conversation to light topics until we arrive at the restaurant. The server assigns us to a table by the window and we browse the menu.

"I definitely need to come here again," I say. "There are so many good options. I'm quite hungry, so I think it's best to stick to pasta."

"Definitely good choices on this menu. On the way in, I saw someone get a pizza that looked delicious delivered at their table and it almost took the entire space. I could go for something like that."