Chapter 12 - Radio

DIDIER

Satisfied with the contents of the package I just received, I put the box away until I'm ready to courier it to Dennis and Carter. When William and James come in the afternoon for a meeting, I'll ask them to sign the compliments card. In three days, we'll celebrate Dennis and Carter's engagement party and we got them something to wear on that day. I'm looking forward to this event since I have actively helped with the preparations.

If ten years ago, anyone would have told me I would end up working as an assistant for wedding planners, I would have laughed at their face. But truthfully, this is the best job I've ever had, and the salary is more than decent. I'm respected and they take my opinions into consideration. Weddings, in my view, are not much different from a circus show. They are just a more expensive spectacle with spectators that RSVP.

The door opens and Abigail walks in, sporting a grin. Having her in the office makes everything so much better. She's smart, fun to be around, and very beautiful.

"Guess who scored a rental jukebox for Dennis and Carter's party for half the price?" She twirls after hanging her jacket.

"You, of course."

"It's the perfect finishing touch for the retro theme. It plays music, but the bowling alley has a better sound system, so I want to use it to enhance the décor in the food area. I have lovely memories of that bowling alley since Dad used to bring us there all the time. He and the owner were good buddies, and he allowed us to use a lane for free. It's too bad they can't compete anymore with the larger alleys, even though they've kept the charm I remember," she perches on my desk.

"I agree that it's too bad it's not in use more often. When we went to visit, it surprised me about how genuine everything in there is. I'm sure Dennis and Carter will love the venue."

"I'm sure they will, since we've discussed all options with them. I only hope that we don't run into issues with some of Carter's guests," her face shows concern and knowing the background of this occasion, I understand how she feels.

"They'll realize that he's just a guy in love. It will be a relief for Carter not to have to live with that secret anymore. I admire his ability to keep things private, because I couldn't keep anything from my mother. It was almost as if she could read anything on my face."

"Even something like being in love with a man?"

"Even that wouldn't have been an issue for her. I think she would have loved me even if I told her I was in love with a flowerpot. She would have probably brought me to a hospital to get my head checked after saying something like that though," I laugh.

"And what about your father? Would he also accept something like that?"

"I don't know. To be honest, I barely know him. Sometimes I see him around town. We give each other an acknowledging nod and that's it. I don't wish him anything bad. We just never bonded." Abigail gives me a warm smile and pats my shoulder, then her gaze moves to the box atop the cabinet. "It arrived a moment ago. Really cool gifts. I regret not ordering one for myself."

Before we can even get the box, Thomas storms into the office. "Put on Jimmy's show! NOW!"

The show has been streaming on my laptop, like every morning, but I had it muted. We have an appointment in an hour, so that will give us time to find out what's going on.

"... to all our listeners. Once again, I'm not waiting to share my bed until I get married. It is all a misunderstanding."

Abigail and I stare at each other while Thomas roars with laughter. What happened before this statement?