Chapter 32 - Breakfast

CARTER

After the scare about Dennis' accident, my stress is finally dwindling. We could go home on the same night as he didn't show any symptoms of any serious injuries. Even though he was slightly drugged, he told me about what went on in the last weeks and then back and forth with the investigator. I didn't suspect a thing because we still have separate bank accounts besides our joint one, so I saw no payments for her services. I encouraged him to call Shawn to tell him about the accident. He sounded worried and asked how soon he could visit.

Something as significant was difficult to be kept among us and the Tates found out not only about Dennis' brother but also about Shawn's visit today. Pretending they were coming to take care of Dennis, they arrived with bags of groceries. Dr. Tate has been in the kitchen since then, making eggs for the entire neighborhood while Cecilia has been smothering her son with attention. Even though Dennis has been rolling his eyes at her exaggerated care, I know he secretly loves it.

"It's short of a miracle that the investigator found your brother in a city as busy as Greenwood," Cecilia says as she rubs arnica cream on Dennis' face bruises.

"Thanks to all the information you and Dad kept about her. She had the right contacts and could access records I couldn't even find when I tried myself."

"It wasn't lack of an invitation to stay in your life," Dr. Tate says and points with the spatula in his hand. "We were open with her that she was welcome to visit."

"I can only imagine that it was tough to give me away and knowing she couldn't have me back," Dennis says. "I respect she gave us the space to become a family."

"And do you and your brother look alike?" Dion asks.

"Same face, but his hair is brown."

"I'm thrilled for you, my darling," Cecilia kisses his cheek, making him wince, and heads to help her husband in the kitchen.

The doorbell rings at the same time Dennis asks Dion for help to go to the toilet. I don't know what I should say to his brother. When I open the door, it's not Shawn standing outside, but Thomas, Abigail and Didier.

"Hey, guys! What a pleasant surprise!"

"We wanted to see how he's doing," Abigail says. "If it wasn't because he messaged me, I would have been scared to death by the news."

"He's doing well among the circumstances," I say as I let them in. "He seems to be managing the pain well and is annoyed because he can't do everything himself. His family is here and, according to the amount of cooking going on, you'll have to stay for breakfast."

"Well, I don't mind staying for breakfast," Thomas says, and hands me a box from Marisol's store. "Here's something for you both."

"The Morgans are here! Well, a part of them anyway. Are you are all joining us for breakfast?" Dr. Tate says when we walk into the living room. "I don't know how to cook for just a few. I'm used to how much these ate," he ruffles Daniel's hair.

"Oy, careful with the hair!" he swats his father's hand while he laughs.

"Looking forward to whatever smells so delicious," Thomas says, earning an approving nod.

"Did he have a seizure while driving?" Abigail asks.

"Luckily no. A kid without a driver's license went through a red. He was fine and crapping his pants when he was told his father was on the way."

"If only my seizures would stop happening when I'm ironing shirts," Dennis chuckles as he joins us. "I have had three victims already."

"Since I can remember, I've been telling you to get those wrinkle-free shirts, but when have you ever listened to me?" Daniel says.