Chapter 6 - Carter

CARTER

When I chose this place, I did it intending to avoid the people who know me. It sounds dramatic and I know I should be over this by now, but I'm not. I only hope that Thomas can find this alley café, well hidden from the major streets and discreet enough for what I need to discuss with him.

As I wait, I entertain myself watching the people walk by. This area is full of artists and it's pleasant to see so many colorful characters. I wish I had the confidence to be myself just like they do, no cares about what people think. I spot Thomas as he walks closer. He looks at the phone in his hand and then at the building. He's probably realized that he's in the right place and promptly puts it back in his pocket. Once inside, he looks around and I wave at him. His grin almost splits his handsome face when he sees me.

"Good to see you, Thomas," I shake his hand. "Thanks for making the time to meet with me at such a short notice."

"My pleasure. Is everything alright with you and Dennis?" He asks as he takes off his coat and hangs it from the chair in front of mine.

"Things are great between us. He's always full of energy under normal circumstances, and the wedding plans seem to have given him an additional boost. He tries his best to talk about different topics, but can't help himself mention something about the wedding every few minutes. It makes me happy seeing him so excited," my heart warms at the thought of Dennis and feel proud of everything he's overcome. He deserves all the happiness I can give him.

"You said little in your email and that's left me very curious. What can I help you with?"

"It's a delicate situation. After we met, I felt I could trust you and that's why I asked if we could meet in private. Very few people know that I'm gay and waiting for the wedding might not be the right moment to come out."

Thomas eyebrows shoot up in surprise but he composes himself as quickly. He inhales deeply and signals the server to come to our table.

"What can I get for you darlings?"

"I would like a cappuccino, please," I say.

"Irish coffee for me. Double shot," Thomas says to the server, who smirks as she writes on her pad and then leaves to prepare the order. "Who knows you are gay?" He loosens his tie and laces his fingers.

"Dennis' family, my sister Lorraine and my business partner Miles. Miles has been my best friend since college and was the one who introduced me to Dennis. I ran my idea of talking to you about this and he agrees that as a neutral party, you could have some solutions. Dennis doesn't know I'm here, and I'd be grateful if we keep it like that."

"Why don't you want him to know?"

"I grew up in a small town called Lonstino. That place thrives on gossip and my parents wouldn't appreciate if our name was in people's mouths. They've lived their lives avoiding being the talk of the town and it's something they take pride in. When I met Dennis and brought him around to my parents as a friend, I got a lecture from my father. He said that I shouldn't mix with that 'crazy queer boy' or people would think I'm the same as him. Dennis has always been comfortable with his sexuality and laughed when I told him what my dad said. I wasn't even interested in him then, because I only figured out I liked men after I finished college. My sister found out when she walked into a restaurant here in Greenwood and saw me on a date. I tried to lie and say it was a business meeting, but she could always see when I'm lying. When I visit my parents, it bothers me a lot, because they always ask about Dennis and then openly mock him. And even when I want to defend my boyfriend, I'm terrified of what their reaction will be if I do and they figure out the reason."