Chapter 23 - The Groom's Brother

WILLIAM

We have worked at weddings in which family members don't get along. We are no strangers to those situations. Now, this wedding, it's just a time bomb. The bride used to be in a relationship with the groom's brother. She basically cheated on him with the groom. I understand that sometimes you fall out of love, but break it clean and get on with your life. Cheating is such a nasty thing. The situation has caused major divisions in the family. The parents of the groom, not wanting to choose between their kids, attended the ceremony, but are not present during the reception.

Thomas is under so much stress right now. He smiles, but his jaw looks tight. The families have kept to their side of the venue, but we wonder for how long. Didier walks around with eyes and ears alert to any trouble. His impressive height has helped us to keep the most problematic guests in check. Everyone else seems to behave around him.

Last night, during my date with London, I told her I was nervous about this event. She comforted me as best as she could and promised me we'll do something nice and relaxing tomorrow. That thought has kept me going on through this tense evening.

Cake cutting in five.

I look up from my phone and see Abigail escorting the bridal couple to the cake table while engaging them in friendly chat, but her eyes scan the area for any issues. I give her a nod when she spots me to let her know that all is quiet. Thomas walks towards the photographer to notify him to come with him. Didier returns from checking the entrance and shakes his head. All is under control out there.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Jimmy announces as the melody of U2's 'Sweetest Thing' begins. "Your attention please, as the new Mr. and Mrs. White cut the cake."

The wedding guests watch as the couple joins hands to cut a piece of cake. I always brace myself in case they decide to shove cake on each other's faces. It's not only a waste of excellent cake, but they always end up ruining their clothes, hair and makeup. Luckily, this couple keeps it normal and neat, and feeds each other a small piece with a fork. The waiting staff then rushes to the table to cut portions to serve to the guests. Thomas breathes with relief. Two more hours and the reception will be over. We'll go home and recover from the tension we are all feeling.

Unusual movement at the bar catches my attention and I walk there to check what's going on.

"You don't want me to tell my cousin that you are denying me a drink. My cousin is the groom, you know. He can get your ass fired like this," a large man snaps his fingers clumsily at the bartender.

"Peter, is everything okay in here?" I get behind the bar and get a better look at the man making threats.

"I'm not serving him anymore," Peter says in a low voice while making a gesture with his chin towards the man. "I think he had already a few before getting here. I've only served him two double whiskeys and now he's threatening to tell the groom. Earlier, I saw him bothering two different women."

"You made the right call. Look at him, he can barely stand." I walk around the bar and lock arms with the problematic guy. "Hey buddy, come on, let's get you in a taxi."

The guy is double my size in width, but I'm taller, plus with his inebriated state, it gives me the advantage.

"Don't you fucking touch me! Who do you think you are? I will tell my cousin!" He tries to shake himself from my grip, but I hold him tighter.

"Of course. We can go together and tell your cousin. I'm sure he will be delighted to hear that you are making a scene at his wedding. A really glorious memory that I'm sure people will talk about for years to come," I keep my chill and the man gives me a furious look.