Chapter 1 - Thomas

THOMAS

According to the checklist on my tablet, we have accomplished everything planned for today. The groom who was almost crapping his pants from the nerves didn't run away; the maternal uncle, who we were warned was a pervert, kept his hands to himself; the grandpa danced the twist from his wheelchair; and the ultra-dramatic bride calmed down and had fun.

The wedding couple left an hour ago for their honeymoon and the party continued until now. The last guests are leaving the ballroom, and after they do, we can break down. Tomorrow, we will do it all over again, but in a different location.

Becoming a wedding planner was never in my plans, although businesses related to weddings run in the family. Our Mom owns a bridal shop and Dad was the town stationer before he passed away. My older brother William followed Dad's footsteps and now runs the business. He's modernized it since he took over and turned the greasy-smelling printing room where Dad used to do typesetting by hand into a digital press.

The biggest dream of my younger brother James was to become a club DJ, but the closest he got was to become a radio one. He has a hilarious morning show that we all listen to at the office. In the evenings, he plays DJ gigs and is my most requested vendor. I don't know if it is because of his local fame as a radio host, but he seems to make even the stiffest of people dance. My sister Abigail, James' twin, found herself at home at the bridal's shop atelier.

I've been the odd duck in my family since I was born, because I never felt interested in weddings or was creative. My passion is numbers and data, and the mere mention of weddings had me almost throwing up. Because of a reorganization at the bank I used to work at I lost my job. I had to do something with my time, and when I found Abigail crying one day at our parents kitchen table over an overcharge on flowers, I knew my knowledge could help her. Even if it was with her wedding.

It became a game for me and to this day I still don't understand the difference between satin and crepe, but I got a kick out of renegotiating her contracts and keeping her wedding budget down to the cent. One might think that all my hard work was for nothing when her fiancé dumped her a week before the ceremony, but we seemed to have found a new passion: wedding planning. Abigail sued the bastard for all the money she spent and got reimbursed. Then we merged it with the settlement from my termination and used that money as the starting capital of our new business.

"Why don't they leave?" Abigail whispers. "They just keep talking shit about a boat. They can do that outside. I want to go home. These heels are killing me."

My sister sports the most genuine fake smile, but it doesn't reach her green eyes. In the past five years, we've worked side by side and it still amuses me how professional she looks even when she feels like murdering someone.

"And away they finally go. Start break down!" I say into my in-ear bud.

Abigail sighs with relief as she takes her heels off and exchanges them for a pair of slip-on sneakers. We then split to check the ballroom for any items left behind while the hotel staff clears the dinnerware on the tables.

"I forgot to tell you," Abigail says as we meet at the center of the ballroom and hands me an earring. "You've got an appointment at ten on Monday."

"At ten? We have another wedding tomorrow! Ten on a Monday is like fucking sunrise!"

"Shut the fuck up," she whispers. "You can't curse so loudly around here. The couple requested your services specifically and said they will pay whatever we want for your services. The only time that worked for everyone was at ten."

"Why me? There are more wedding planners in Greenwood."

"Maybe someone recommended you directly. People appreciate your good taste, how strict you are with budgets and that no idea is too crazy for you. Remember the elephant?" She laughs at the memory.