Chapter 17 - Okay

WILLIAM

Carter and Dennis' engagement party ended on a high note last night. The bowling alley became an impromptu discotheque, and the owners were on the brink of kicking us out when it was becoming too late and the guests wouldn't stop dancing. I slept like a baby and felt so energized that when I made it to the store, I started working on the illustrations for Bree and George's wedding invitation. Since the Valentine's day rush is over, I'm less interrupted by customers coming in to pick cards or cute stationery items to give as gifts. Only my regulars come in for stamps, copy work, and any other small office supplies they run out of.

It was almost noon, and I was ready to take a break and head to Cesar and Annette's to pick my sandwich when London entered the store dressed in her nursing scrubs.

"Hey, what a pleasant surprise!" Her presence made me grin.

"I hope I'm not intruding, but I brought you something. Well, for us both," she shook the bag in her hand and gave it to me.

Inside, I found two parcels wrapped in brown wax paper, chips, and cookies.

"You brought me lunch?" I couldn't hide my delight and surprise.

"Yeah, it's your favorite. You took great care of me the other day and I felt like treating you," her cheeks turned pink and I felt so moved that I grabbed her in a hug.

"Thank you, London. Thank you for thinking of me."

She took a step back, and I felt embarrassed for a second that my burst of affection was unwelcome.

"The chips!" She laughed, and I understood why she moved away. "It's my pleasure, really."

"Let me close the door," I said as I locked the door and turned around the 'I'll be back soon' sign. "Not trying to be a creep, but this way we can eat without interruptions. Would you like something to drink? I have cold soda, juice or I can make some coffee, tea or hot chocolate."

"Hot chocolate sounds great. It's again windy out there. Annette told me she wrapped the sandwiches double, so they should still be warm."

"Heaven sent. I was about to head their way to grab lunch. I had a productive morning and my belly was reminding me I needed the break."

"What have you been working on?" She asked, standing close to me as I prepared the hot chocolate.

"Printed and assembled a wedding stationery order that I need to bring later to my brother Thomas and started on designs for invitations for friends of ours. After lunch, I was going to place the order for Mother's Day cards. I support a small group of creatives and every year I get something beautiful but different from the commercial cards. You can pick one for your mom if you want."

Her eyes turned momentarily sad. "For my grandma. I lost my mom when I was a little girl."

"Oh, I'm so sorry London. That was careless of me."

"Don't worry, you didn't know. She was lovely and beautiful. Unfortunately had a stroke in her sleep and passed away. Besides seeing him in a few photos, I never knew my dad. My grandma raised me and I still live with her. She's my everything."

"Then I'll make sure to order a special card, just for her," I caressed her cheek as I gave her the hot drink.

We sat in my cramped work space and enjoyed our sandwiches while talking about our week. I noticed she got a ham and cheese sandwich for herself. My omelet one wasn't a success for her.

"And you know Will, I have seen tons of weird stuff at the hospital. The x-rays showed a ring in this man's intestine. We thought maybe he did a grand gesture and put the ring in a drink and swallowed it by accident. His wife stood next to him when he admitted he didn't. I'm afraid the divorce papers will be ready when he gets released."