Chapter 25 - Pizza

CARTER

Dennis looks handsome in his black coach uniform as he stands at the side of the volleyball court and shouts instructions at his little ladies as he calls them. I've been keeping an eye on him, looking for signs of distress or early signs of an epileptic attack, but he seems to be doing well. Since he got his new prescription and started this new job, he has barely had any attacks. The few times he's had one, they have lasted a few minutes and sometimes he doesn't even realize he's had one. Before, he had to lie down to recuperate. When he took the job, he was honest with the school director, and also informed his colleagues and students about his medical condition. He reassured them it's not dangerous and the only thing they need to do was make sure he doesn't wander to a place where he can hurt himself. It gives me relief that people care about him enough to ask what they should do to help him.

The management at his previous job decided to settle out of court. They were fast to answer to our demands, probably because they realized their mistake. Dennis declined a higher position within the company, but accepted a large settlement fee. With this comfortable financial position, he can now take some time to think about what he wants to do next. Right now, he looks so happy that I think the path to take is becoming clear.

"I'm sorry we are late. The rehearsal lunch we were at took longer than expected. How is he doing?"

Abigail gives me a grin and I see that she's not alone. Thomas and Didier are joining us.

"What are you guys doing here?" I greet her with a kiss on the cheek and shake hands with the guys.

"He told me about his first game when we went out to lunch last week," Abigail says. "He was feeling excited and a bit nervous, so we came to cheer on him and his team."

"We could have been here earlier, but we had seven speeches at the rehearsal," Thomas says. "Usually people cringe at the idea of public speaking, but these people wouldn't shut up."

"I'm happy you are here. It's going well for his team. They won the first set, two more to go."

"Black suits him. I know he wanted a gray suit for the wedding, but he should go for black," Abigail watches him with sisterly love.

"I think it's the combination of the color of his clothes and the joy he radiates."

Dennis looks in our direction and waves when he realizes who's here. He says something to his students while they take a break and walks towards us.

"I really appreciate you are all here," he greets each of them.

"Wouldn't miss it, plus we have good news to give you thanks to Didier," Abigail says and Didier gives us a shy smile.

"I found a place to have the wedding. The fairgrounds at Lonstino."

"My hometown?" I ask. "I've been there as a child. Didn't know they did weddings."

"They have a large garden at the back of the premises called Sea Rose, and it has good facilities to hold a wedding there. Plenty of space for the main tent and side ones for the vendors. I'm heading there on Monday to meet with the owners. I've put a placeholder for the new date in June so that you can finish your work here without stress."

"I'm really grateful, Didier. Come here," Dennis grabs Didier in a surprise hug that he returns.

When Dennis got the teaching job, we started worrying about dealing with wedding plans during the last month of school. Thomas and Abigail were incredibly accommodating in finding us new dates in June, even when their agenda was already packed.

"And that is not all," Abigail gives Didier a knowing look.

"There is more?" I ask and look at Dennis, who looks at them both with curiosity.