Chapter 28 - Mrs. Caldwell

JAMES

Never in my life I've felt this combination of nerves and excitement, at least not about someone. With my previous relationships I've felt at the most a flutter, but when I think about Grayson all I feel is joy. Our relationship is starting to become serious and as such, he asked me to come by his house to meet his mother. I didn't want to mess the opportunity to be a good representative of my family, since she seems to have strong opinions about us, and asked Thomas to come shopping with me for decent clothes. I've also removed my piercings to appear as decent as possible. Didier gave me a pep talk and told me to be myself because there's nothing wrong with me or the way I behave. I hope he's right and I don't end up making a fool of myself.

Luke set me up with pretty miniature cakes with handmade marzipan roses. We had a good click while working at the high tea event, and I felt I could ask him for the favor. When Marissa praised his fast work making tartlets and joked about him leaving O'Brien's for something better one day, he didn't correct her. I'm afraid they'll have to start looking for a new pâtissier soon.

After hesitating at the door of the large white house, I summon up courage and ring the bell. A man in a neat suit opens the door and gives me a quick once over. Luckily, he seems to approve.

"Good morning, sir. I'm James Morgan, and Grayson has invited me."

"Very well, come inside. I will inform him you are here."

The entrance hall has a tall ceiling with an impressive lamp. Fresh flower arrangements decorate a few tables and as I walk around, my shoes clacking against the checkered marble floor, the art on the walls catches my attention.

"Hello, Jimmy. Glad you could make it."

I turn around to see Grayson. Today he's dressed fully in black and wears stunning makeup.

"I don't know if I'm allowed to kiss you," I chuckle. "I'm afraid I'll ruin your makeup."

He smiles and holds my hand, pulling my body to him and with his other, he cups my face and brings my mouth to his. "Smear-free lipstick is a wonderful invention," he says against my lips. "Should be good for the next hours." Our make-out session is cut short by the throat cleaning sound of the man who opened the door. "Don't mind Henry. He's just teasing."

I look at Henry and he smirks as he collects the mail from a table. 

"Where you making a tutorial?" I ask after we separate Oh, before I forget, I brought something for your mother," I show him the pastry box I left on a table.

"She will love this, and yeah, I was creating some new content for my channel. I'll edit it later. You don't mind me looking like this?"

"No, not at all. It's a form of art and it suits you."

Grayson gives me a shy smile as he escorts me towards a door. "It's a gorgeous day. I've made arrangements to eat outside under the wisteria. We should enjoy it before it loses the flowers."

We walk through a dining room that I believe can easily accommodate twelve people, and then exit through a set of glass doors. Mrs. Caldwell sits at a table reading a book aided by the glasses perched almost at the tip of her nose. On the table, I see document folders and an open pen atop them.

"Mom, let me introduce you formally to my friend James Morgan."

Mrs. Caldwell takes the glasses off and places them next to the pen. She gives me a poker face look and I try to resist wiping my sweaty hands on my new pants.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Caldwell. I brought a token of appreciation for having me over, a little something in honor of Mother's Day," I shake her hand firmly and offer her the bakery box.