Chapter 11 - Lunch

WILLIAM

My brain has trouble matching the woman in front of me with my memory of the one last night.

"London? From last night?"

"I'm sorry to disappoint you with the real me. A friend lent me the dress I wore last night and did my makeup," she remembers with a sad smile.

"I'm not disappointed," I say, and really mean it. "Come inside and out of the wind. How are you doing? You look in better spirits today, that is why I didn't recognize you."

"Thanks to you. You saved the last of my dignity last night. I still can't believe that I drank so much, but I was so pissed. This place is gorgeous! Like a candy store for stationery," she gazes around the store.

"Thank you. My father used to own this place, and it was already great then. I just modernized it a bit," I say as I rummage around my backpack. "Here are your keys. Can I give you a ride to pick up your car? Did you leave it at the hall?"

"That's very kind. I accept the offer. I'm not good at figuring out public transportation. That's why it took me so long to get here."

"I was about to pick something for lunch. Want to join me if you have time? No obligations, of course."

London stares at me and seems to consider my suggestion.

"William, I just had a breakup. I don't know if it is a good idea," she hesitates.

"If it's any consolation, my ex broke up with me before Christmas, so I know how you feel. I was just offering you a nice warm sandwich since you went through the effort of coming here. It's not my intention to take advantage of your feelings. Our mom raised us to respect everyone, and women even more."

"Since you put it that way, I accept to grab a sandwich," she smiles and looks relieved.

After closing the store, I motion for her to follow me. "Cesar and Annette's is nearby. Their food is delicious."

I glance at her as we walk to the deli and enjoy her natural beauty. Her cheeks are flushed with the cold weather and a few strands of hair escape her beanie. I wonder if she remembers she kissed me last night. After all, she was pretty drunk.

"This is it," I hold the door open for her.

"Will! Darling! Your usual to go?" Annette comes to greet us. Erin, one of the owners of Moonlight House, who is a regular here and at my shop, waves at me, and I see Bree and George sitting at a booth and having a cozy conversation.

"We'll be eating here. Annette, this is my friend, London. Annette loves to take care of hungry boys."

"Nothing more satisfying than seeing the Morgan boys eat. I have a nice table for you."

We follow Annette and I give a nod to Cesar, who's busy in the kitchen. She sets the menus for us, takes our drinks order and leaves us to decide what we want to eat.

"What is your usual?" London peeks up from the menu.

"It isn't on the menu," I smile, but feel embarrassed to admit that I still eat like a child at times.

"Why are you blushing?"

"A sandwich with a ham and cheese omelet."

"What is so wrong with that?"

"With ketchup," I say and brace myself for her reaction.

"I've never put ketchup on anything other than fries. Is it any good? I could try it."

"My siblings find it gross. You don't have to, really."

"It hasn't killed you. Worst that can happen is that I don't like it," she gives me a sweet smile.