Chapter 3 - James

JAMES

I can barely breathe from laughing so hard. We've heard stories here at the station, but the way this woman has told hers has our jaws in pain.

"Thanks for your call, Lillian! You win lunch vouchers for O'Brien's. And to all the listeners who saw a woman in underwear running down Main Street screaming 'there is a spider in my car', that was... LILLIAN!!!" My crew claps and I see a few people cleaning tears of laughter. "This was Coffee Time with Morgan on Greenwood Radio. We have a date tomorrow from six to twelve, and don't you dare go away, because the sexy, incredible, and sassy Bree will be right here to spice up your afternoon!" I cue my jingle and down the new cup of coffee that Bree has just set next to me. "You are an angel! I don't know how I made it through my shift."

"Wedding last night?" Bree sits on the DJ chair across from me as commercials run.

"Yeah, and I wasn't even DJing, only helping my brother with random tasks. I don't know where he gets the energy to do this so often every week."

"Because he loves his work. Do you think you can get me the friends and family discount?" She shows me the ring on her hand.

"No way! No fucking way! Bree, are you serious? You've got engaged? Congratulations!" I give her a hug.

She pulls the microphone towards her and says hello to our audience, then starts a block of songs.

"Jimmy, he did the whole cheesy thing of the restaurant, the red roses, a damned violin player, and got on one knee. How could I say no?"

"Do you have doubts then?"

"It crossed my mind that it's too soon. We've only been dating for a few months and don't even live together. He looked so hopeful, and I didn't want to break his heart because I love him. And we aren't getting married tomorrow, so it will give me some time to get used to the idea that I will be someone's wife," she shrugs.

"You are so romantic," I say, and she swats my arm with the papers in her hand. "Take your time and enjoy being a bride. I'm going home now for a well-deserved nap and I'll see you tomorrow. Count on that discount," I grab my messenger bag and head towards my car.

Bree and I met working at the graveyard shift at the radio station when we were just out of college. We worked our way up and now, eight years later, we are the main daytime DJs. She became my best friend, and on the nights when we were both free and dateless, we would go out for beer and pizza to make fun of the entire world. She met George at the birthday party of a friend we have in common and hit it off immediately. He gets her and I'm happy Bree has found someone who does and truly loves her the way she is. The news fills me with excitement at her upcoming nuptials, whether soon or in the future, so I call my brother.

"Jimmy? What do you want?" He answers roughly.

"Woah. No need to be so harsh. I could have been a client, you know?"

"I don't have the time to deal with bullshit. I have a hysterical bridesmaid on the other line, so keep it short."

"Okay, I don't want to talk to you when you are being an asshole to me, but I will not let it mess with my cheerful news. Bree just got engaged. Can we work something out for her? I can play for free."

"That's indeed good news," he calms down. "Tell her to call me as soon as she can. You know how fast I get booked. Before I go back to the unreasonable person on the other line, I have a gig for you in May. It has a circus theme. Can you make something out of that without making it tacky?"

"Yeah, I guess. Are we planning kids' birthdays now?"

"It's for a wedding," he sighs.

"Oh! Are you serious?"