Chapter 34 - Ideas

ABIGAIL

When Thomas called me, I found it slightly odd, since I knew he was Marissa on a date, although to me he said he was checking a tea salon as a possible venue.  I answered his call since we are completing the details of Carter and Dennis' wedding, and it could have been about anything related to it. The news he shared left me so shocked that I had to park my car on a bend and started laughing so hard I almost choked.

"I knew they were friends," I say as I wipe my happy tears and rummage through my bag for a bottle of water. "He comes to visit her at the store, brings her lunch some times. I thought it was a sweet gesture. Now I see he was courting her."

"But Ma and Papa O'Brien," Thomas' frustrated voice comes through my car speakers. "They are the last people on this planet I can picture as a couple. They are so different."

"Are they really, Thomas? Both have strong characters, have raised kids when they didn't have a penny to scratch their ass and, more importantly, lost the love of their lives. How did Marissa take the news?"

"She feels as confused as I am, but she's happy about it. More than anything, she's wondering why he kept their relationship a secret. It has been 24 years since her mom passed away and he's dated since, but it never amounted to anything serious."

"And what about Mom?"

"She looked... What's the word I'm looking for? Pleased? You know how Ma is. Too down to earth to make a big deal out of it. It appears that she was watching when I was about to propose to Marissa when he popped the question."

"YOU DID WHAT?"

Luckily I had swallowed my water because otherwise it would have been sprayed on my steering wheel.

"I know! It's out of character for me, but you know better than anyone that Marissa has been my only love. Ugh, why did I say that out loud to you?"

"Tommy, I'm surprised, but I'm over the moon about this. Goodness gracious! With so many family weddings to plan, we won't have time to take on... Work..." My voice chokes and this time happy tears come.

I don't know why I feel like this about Thomas getting married. Probably because my brother and I have worked together so closely in the past years that I wish him all the love life has to offer, and luckily, he's found it with someone who loves him back.

"Okay, enough emotion. We are expected tonight at Mom's house for a small celebration."

"I'll be there," I say as I fan my face and hope my makeup makes its waterproof promise true. "Do you have a date in mind for your wedding? I haven't even started thinking about ours. Everything feels so new."

"Same with us. Our priority is to search for a new house that fits our needs and we need to tell Rosita and Almond."

"Thomas, you know they are cats, right?"

"Rosita is the love of my life. She has the right to know. Plus, she'll be sharing the new space with a hunk that luckily is sterilized."

I shake my head, even though he can't see me. Thomas is losing touch with reality.

"Anyway, Ma already said she doesn't want all bells and whistles. A civil ceremony with family, a few friends and employees followed by breakfast at O'Brien's."

"For someone who didn't know she would be proposed to, she had it all worked out," I say and hear Thomas laugh. "Well, even though we don't have a date, Didier and I talk from time to time about it. We were discussing who we would like to be at our wedding. We know way too many people. I thought we could get away with the tiniest wedding, but it won't be realistic. One thing was evident, though."