Chapter 24 - Memories

DIDIER

I couldn't help it. At the sight of the knife, real time and memories became one. I was at a wedding, but I could smell the scent of that night at the circus: sweat, animal crap and blood. I saw Francis lying in the puddle of his own blood by the horses stall. No one around had a phone on them and a crew member ran to the closest house he could find to call the emergency services. My job was to wait for them at the entrance, but I kept sprinting back and forth, feeling desperate. The moment they arrived, I brought them to Francis. My father had him in his arms and he had just passed away. I then saw William lying on the floor, blood pooling next to him, and I fainted.

I woke up in this hospital room and my stomach churned at the recent memory. A nurse entered the room, London, and I remembered her as she came by the office momentarily with William. I asked her if she knew anything about him and she reassured me that he was doing well under the circumstances and that, like him, I should rest. The doctor wanted to keep me for the night to monitor my health and if all was fine, I could go home today. I tried my best to comply, but kept having nightmares. It's been a long time since that situation has intervened with my life and I feel embarrassed it happened while at work.

"Do you have everything?" Abigail asks. "I signed the release papers and we can leave."

I show her the jacket and tie hanging from my arm. My wallet, phone and keys are in my pockets. These were the only things I had on me last night. I don't even dare to look at her face, and she's probably thinking that I'm a coward at the sight of danger.

"If you give me directions, I can bring you to your place. Thomas and Jimmy brought your car already and parked it in front. We rescheduled the appointments for the next days to recover from this awful situation."

I've always been vague about the place I live, because a shoe box is bigger than that studio. "It's okay, Abigail. I can take a bus to go home. You also need to rest."

"I can't let you go home by yourself. I need to make sure you are okay and comfortable. Remember what the doctor said, to not isolate or try dealing with the trauma on your own."

Knowing this is a battle I will never win, I follow her to her car. I give her my address and she starts the navigation. My neighborhood isn't the worst, but it looks washed out and old. Thomas pays me well, but I'm using the money to pay off debts and save to move to a better place in the future.

We arrive at my street and find a spot to park in front of my car. Abigail gets out of hers and I try to ignore everything that's wrong with the building I live in. The hallways are dark and smell like mold, and the elevator stopped working a few months ago. I live on the third floor, so the walk upstairs is fine as long as I'm not carrying heavy bags. We reach my door and Abigail waits patiently next to me. She walks inside and takes the place in after I've opened the curtains.

"I'm sorry you have to see this."

"Sorry? Wait, are you embarrassed about your apartment?" She places her hand on my arm and watches me with concern.

"It's not the nicest place," I shrug as I get a hanger to put my jacket away.

"All I see is a spotless and organized apartment. What's wrong with it?"

"You are probably used to better conditions," I say, still avoiding her gaze.

"Just because I have my place now doesn't mean I don't know what is like to live in modest conditions. We used to live in an apartment when we were kids, all six of us. Dad was an apprentice at the print shop, Mom ironed and fixed clothes for people at home. They worked hard to start their businesses, and we all did odd jobs to earn pocket money. Sometimes the money was tight, but we felt safe and loved at home. That's all that matters."