Chapter 15 - Bowling

ABIGAIL

Since we started our business, we have experienced many situations, some of them embarrassing, others hilarious, but never something as uncomfortable as what just happened. I was in the hall outside setting a table with the stationery items that Will brought when Carter's parents rushed by and slammed the entrance door shut. I went inside to check what had happened and found Thomas ordering drinks for everyone. Didier took me aside and told me what went on, and it felt so wrong in so many ways. Dennis' mom tried her best to smile, but I could see the situation truly bothered her. It must be painful as a mother when someone dislikes your child for something they can't change.

Cars get in the parking lot and I ready myself to receive the next guests, Dennis' brothers. After greeting his parents when they arrived, it doesn't surprise me anymore when the guys come in and I see that they all look different. I know them by name since Dennis mentions them often, but this is the first time I see them. Dion is the oldest of the three brothers and is also tallest. He has blue eyes, very light skin and black curls. He's accompanied by his beautiful wife and their daughters. I feel as if I know them already because Dennis is very fond of the girls. Daniel, the middle brother, is a redhead with brown eyes and tons of freckles. He holds the hand of his girlfriend as I escort the group inside. The girls run towards their uncle and almost tackle him and then receive cuddles from their grandparents. After what happened earlier, I'm glad to see them smiling and everyone else relaxing.

"I would have never guessed that," Thomas grins while pointing with his chin at the colorful family gathering, who jokingly threatens each other with winning at bowling.

"He told me he was adopted, and he speaks a lot about them when we spend time together, but it never crossed my mind that they look so different from each other. This is probably the most beautiful group I've ever seen," I chuckle.

"It's easy to assume families share traits when us four have exactly the same brown hair and green eyes. We are cookie cutter siblings, that's where Mom and Dad's creativity stopped,"  he says, making me laugh. "Dennis' mom seems to have calmed down. I wonder how her sons would have reacted seeing her take a swing at Carter's dad. I'm grateful Didier intervened, but secretly I would have enjoyed seeing him getting what he deserved. In a passive aggressive way, he also treated me like a piece of shit."

"Better an insult than getting punched by a bride," I tease him. "Let me go back to the entrance to receive the rest of the guests."

A gorgeous lady arrives at the arm of a very elegant man and the moment she smiles at me, I realize she's Carter's sister. I bring them to the group and Carter confirms what I thought, that she's his sister and his brother-in-law. Thomas and I brace ourselves when Carter tells them this is their engagement party, but our fear is unnecessary since she grabs her brother in a hard hug and laughs. Her partner smiles as he shakes Dennis' hand and congratulates him. My brother and I let out a loud breath in relief that this went well.

New guests arrive and some of them get introduced to Carter, and others to Dennis, but all react with surprise and happiness at the news of the engagement. While doing rounds, I hear a conversation between Carter and a group of friends.

"Carter, we all suspected you were gay from the moment we started hanging out at bars during college," one of his friends say. "While we couldn't get our eyes off the ladies, you spent your time chatting with the male bartenders. I'm just so glad that you ended up with Dennis."

Carter gives him a warm smile as they make a toast to his happiness. Dennis comes to join him and gives him a little kiss on his cheek. I sigh at the sweet gesture.

The rest of the guests are already busy warming up while rolling balls down the lanes. I bet I will still be able to hear the balls hitting the pins when I go to sleep. The kids in attendance scream with delight whenever they score anything. The food in the buffet is being consumed at good speed and I make a mental note to rehire this caterer. I'm afraid not much will be over to bring home, as Thomas had hoped.