Chapter 19 - Lawsuit

CARTER

Dennis has been silent during the entire car ride, and I wonder what is going through his head. He was left with a cheerful buzz from the engagement party, but now has gone back to being quiet and depressed.

"What are you thinking about?" I give him a gentle squeeze on his leg.

"If doing all of this is worth the trouble. Why not just signing the papers and getting on with my life?"

"Because our lawyer said there was enough ground for a lawsuit. Give this meeting a chance and if you are still feeling the same after it, we can stop the process."

Dennis nods and returns to look out the window. We make it into the parking lot of the small firm and get out of the car. After announcing ourselves at the reception, a young woman calls our names.

"Mr. Tate, Mr. Shaw, I'm Jamie Smith, one of the lawyers here at the firm."

"Pleasure to meet you in person," I say.

"Likewise. If you follow me through here, we can sit at my office. Can I offer you some coffee?"

Dennis declines, but I accept her offer. Ms. Smith leaves to get my drink and when I turn to look at Dennis, he has a strange look on his face and his mouth moves as if he's chewing. He stands up and walks around the room, then stops in front of a wall.

"Dennis? Sweetheart?" I join him and caress his face and then his arm while he continues experiencing a seizure.

A crash and a loud curse in a room nearby distracts me. "Oh, for fuck's sake! Why this has to happen now?" I hear someone, who I assume is Ms. Smith, say.

Her words echo my thoughts. What's going on that has sent Dennis into this state? The doorknob rattles and Ms. Smith comes in with a cup of coffee.

"The coffee maker just died on me, but made yours," she sets the coffee on the desk and her face turns into a concerned one when she sees what's happening to Dennis.

"He'll be okay in a few minutes. Stressful situations can trigger a seizure."

"Epilepsy? Is that what happened at his office?"

"I wasn't present, but can only assume it went something like this," I continue to caress his face and he blinks repeatedly. "A head injury left him suffering from complex partial seizures. He loses awareness and makes repetitive movements. It seems he had one during an important meeting and the client took offense because it looked as if he had walked away. Hello, what is my name?" I ask Dennis, who's now staring at me.

"Carter."

"What's your mom's name?"

"Cecilia. Why are you asking me that?"

Not a second passes when he realizes what just happened and looks tired and mortified.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers.

"Mr. Tate, there's no reason to apologize," Ms. Smith gives him a kind smile. "I'm here to help and understanding what you go through is important to work on the case. If you want to reschedule and go rest, we can do so. Your wellbeing is the most important thing."

"I'm okay... I think... Call me Dennis... I'm very nervous. Carter, can you help me answer stuff?" He looks at his lap and it breaks my heart.

"Of course, I'll help."

"We'll start with some basic questions. How long have you been working for the investment firm?"

"Six years."

"And you had the epilepsy diagnosis when you started working there?"

"No. My ex-boyfriend gave me a beating and fractured my head. Got a brain injury from that."