Chapter 10 - London

WILLIAM

On a day like today, I'm glad I keep the store open until one in the afternoon. I came home at one in the morning, but didn't go to sleep immediately. Now I'm looking forward to a nap on my couch. I considered calling Abigail and asking her if she could feed me tonight, but I then remembered that she and Thomas are working at a small wedding this afternoon. I doubt she'll be in the mood to cook for anyone. Maybe I should call her anyway and check if she wants to grab a bite somewhere.

Last night's wedding happened with no major issues, but we all had our individual events. After making some rounds, I worked behind the bar to monitor intoxicated guests requiring help to get a taxi. Usually I get affectionate hugs as I tell them it's time to call it a night and that I will help them get home safe. Last night, I had to confiscate someone's keys, and it was a challenge. I spotted her as I was walking around because she was simply stunning. Her red dress wasn't short or provocative, but it fitted her figure like delicate wrapping paper. She had tied her hair at the nape and the curls ran down her back. Before the guy she was with noticed I stared for too long, I moved on, but she ended up at the bar several times in the next hours.

Later on, I had to walk outside with a man who could barely stand up straight and calm his wife, who felt terribly embarrassed at his state. When I returned to the venue, I lost track of her. I assumed she went home with the guy she had been with. Not long after, the last guest went home, and we started the breakdown and security check. I hesitated to enter the women's bathrooms, but did it anyway. I'm always afraid I'll find someone there and they'll hit me to death with their purse. After finding it empty, I scanned the cloakroom and gathered a few items left behind to hand to Thomas. As I made my way towards the hall, I heard a small sob. I retraced my steps and figured the noise was coming from a cleaning closet. It didn't even cross my mind to check inside, as it was a small space. Another sob came from behind the door and when I opened it I found the woman I've been tracking sitting on a mopping bucket turned upside down. She looked miserable and the makeup running down her face wasn't helping.

"Hey, are you okay? What is going on?" I whispered as I crouched in front of her.

"He broke up with me," she sobbed. "Who the hell breaks a relationship up on Valentine's Day? And at a wedding?"

"I'm really sorry. How about we get out of here and talk about it?"

She grabbed the silver heels and her small purse lying next to the bucket and tried to stand up. Her body swayed, and we got showered with a few toilet paper rolls. She laughed as she used my arm to steady herself and then started crying again.

"I can't even walk," she said.

"I'll help you."

I tried my best to keep her from falling and brought her to the catering area. Luckily, they had not cleared up the coffee and tea service yet. After finding her a place to sit, I made a cup of black coffee and handed it to her.

"This smells awful. Do you want me to throw up?" She scrunched her nose at the cup.

"Just take small sips. The warmth will comfort you... And hopefully sober you. What is your name?"

"London," she said and took a sip of the coffee. Deeming it okay, she drank some more.

"Pleasure to meet you. My name is William. Were you a guest of the bride or the groom?"

"Groom. That asshole is a brother of the groom. We were together for five months. Why did he wait until today to humiliate me?"

"Worst timing ever. Did he give you a reason for wanting to break up?"

"That we don't seem to want the same things and sees no point in staying together."

"Is there truth in that?"