Chapter 29 - Potluck

WILLIAM

London and I made a large amount of dishes for the Mother's day potluck and I struggle to balance them as I open the front door of my mom's house. My girlfriend's arm is busy supporting a precious person, her grandmother. Deliah is the kindest and most adorable grandmother I've ever met, and received me with open arms from the moment I stepped into her house. When I arrived at their place this morning, I brought her a big bouquet of yellow roses and she was delighted with the gift. When London and I discussed our plans for Mother's day, we concluded it was best to bring Deliah with us to my mom's house. There will be good food and she'll find the rest of the family entertaining.

Today, we celebrate our mom. She's offered us her unconditional support all our lives and deserves a day of pampering and not moving a finger to cook or cleaning after a party. We started this tradition as kids when each of us started making something to serve her on a breakfast tray. One time, Jimmy set the fire alarm off while trying to make pancakes, which he insisted on making from scratch instead reheating frozen ones. After that, we gave him the task of filling a glass with juice and cutting a flower from the garden to put in a little vase. That was safe enough for him to do.

My mom noticed earlier than anyone else that I loved to draw and went by the art shop to pick a good set of carbon pencils, coloring pencils, watercolors and wax sticks for me. It wasn't until recently that I realized she must have worked extra hours to be able to afford that for me. Back then, Dad was trying to build the business, and we had enough to go by, but not for these kinds of purchases.

When I was twelve, we all got chicken pox, my parents included. She took care of everyone even when she had a fever and her skin itched. Dad and Jimmy got it worse than the rest of us and she patiently rubbed lotion and spent nights holding my crying and uncomfortable-feeling brother in her arms. There are many instances like these when she would put us before herself. Her love has never known limits.

When Dad passed away, she was what kept us in one piece when her heart was broken. Dad had a heart attack at the print shop and she found him on the floor. He was declared dead on arrival at the hospital. She called me first to let me know what happened and my world fell apart because I was meant to work that day with my dad. The guilt was consuming me, because I believed that if I was there, I could have called the ambulance earlier. She grabbed me firmly by my arms and told me it wasn't my fault. Me coming to work on that day wouldn't have changed the outcome, according to her.

Then last December, Nicole broke up with me right before the holidays, and it left me shocked and heartbroken. I couldn't eat or sleep, trying to figure what went wrong. Mom casually offered to stay at my place to keep me company, but I knew she was worried about me doing something stupid. She listened to my endless conversations about the situation and let me vent my frustration. When she deemed it was enough, she demanded that I take a shower, eat, and forget about my ex's existence. She was right. Nicole didn't deserve a tear from me after what she did.

"Happy Mother's day, Ma," I kiss my mom's cheek when I walk into the kitchen with the food trays.

"Thanks, sweetheart. What do you have in there? It smells great!"

"Chicken, salmon and pork dishes," I say as I place them on the kitchen counter. "Ma, let me introduce you to London's grandmother, Deliah."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Deliah," Mom holds Deliah's hand in both of hers. "Thank you for coming to spend Mother's day with us. London, love, you look beautiful. That dress suits you perfectly!"

"You made me this dress!" London laughs as she twirls.

"I know," Mom gives her a wink and a naughty knowing grin.