Chapter 7 - Assistant

THOMAS

According to my notes, tomorrow's wedding should happen without issues. The only thing I'm concerned about is the access to a full open bar and the effect on the guests who are fond of liquor. Everything else seems under control.

Abigail should have been here a while ago. She went by Amber to bring the crystal drops the bride found at the last minute in an antique market and wants incorporated in her bouquet. That should cover the last of her good luck tokens, something old. I only hope that Amber agrees to add them. She can be hard-headed if she believes the client's wishes clash with her vision, but if there's anyone who can convince her, that's my sister.

The front door opens, and a tall man enters. He looks lost.

"Hi! Good afternoon. What can I help you with?" I offer him a smile that he returns.

"You must be Thomas. Abigail asked me to meet you here at one in the afternoon."

"Of course! Didier, am I right?" I offer him a hand that he shakes firmly.

"At your service."

"My apologies that it didn't click immediately for me. She said you had dreadlocks and a ring in your eyebrow."

I'm no short guy myself, but Didier towers over me. He's good looking; with dark skin and very light brown eyes. Abi said he used to work at the ice cream factory, but the guy in front of me belongs on a runway.

"I had the dreadlocks removed yesterday and the eyebrow ring is at home. My head suddenly feels so light. I should have done it long ago. I assumed it didn't look presentable enough for fancy events."

"Considering that my brothers are Mr. Ink and Mr. Piercing themselves, I think you would have been fine," I laugh, thinking about how rogue my brothers look next to Didier. "Abigail is visiting one of our vendors about a last-minute change for tomorrow's wedding, but we can have a chat while we wait for her. Coffee?" I motion for him to follow me to the meeting area.

"Yes, thank you."

"I would offer you a pastry, but I'm afraid I finished what was left. I believe that my body is seventy-five percent dough and sugar," I say and he laughs heartily. "Anything from O'Brien is addictive. Maybe Abi has some cookies hidden around here. Want me to check?"

"You are very kind, but no. I'm happy with a hot cup of coffee."

"Abi told me you lost your job at the ice cream factory, which is quite unfortunate. What did you do before?"

"Every job you can imagine. We moved a lot, and I took on anything that could bring money in."

"Were your parents in the army?"

"I grew up in a circus. My mother was a performer and my father worked in the crew. He never recognized me as his son, but seeing that I look exactly like him, there was no doubt. I learned how to do everything related to building and maintaining stuff. Whenever we were stationed in a town for a week, I would go out scouting for things to do to earn extra money."

"A circus..."

"More like battered campers, the smell of animal crap and fake glamour."

"And did you ever perform?" This information has me fascinated.

"When I was a child, I had a little clown act. Then I trained at the beginning of my teenage years in dangerous stuff like sword swallowing and fire eating. My mother was an acrobat and contortionist, but my long limbs were not fit for anything like that. I grew up wild and the more dangerous the act, the more it had my attention. She put her foot down and forbid me to do it when I said I wanted to try a motorcycle act in a steel cage. She was barely over five feet tall, but her stare was deadly."