Chapter 4 - William

WILLIAM

The store has been busier than ever today, with Valentine's day coming up soon. It's great to see people coming to pick cards for loved ones, a tradition that seems to dwindle with the convenience of electronic cards. I also have my regular customers from the adjacent streets coming to pick stationery supplies. It surprises me they rather come to my modest store instead of shopping at the large retailers. After I took over, I didn't take for granted that they would continue their business with us, but thanks to Dad's networking skills, I still have a very loyal clientele.

Pleased with the wedding invitation in front of me, I save the file and send it to Thomas in an email. I'm glad that I'll be helping him at a wedding on Valentine's because otherwise I would be alone and miserable at home. Nicole broke up with me right before the Christmas holidays and I'm still not over it because I don't understand what went wrong. I believe I'm a good boyfriend and was supportive, loving towards her. She sent me a text message that said things were not working well between us, and that was it.

I get an email from Thomas and realize that it is for a new design and not the one I just sent for feedback. The couple has chosen a beach wedding with cognac and blue as their colors. I can work with this. Before I can open the attachments, I hear the door open.

"Good morning, well, almost good afternoon," I say after looking at my watch.

"Hey."

Nicole stands in the middle of the shop with a box in her hands. So many feelings run through me right now, anger the strongest, but I try to stay calm.

"How can I help you?"

"These are the last things you had at my place," she hands me the box. "How you've been?"

"I'm doing well. How are you?"

"Good... Good. You are ready for Valentine's day," she walks around the shop and stops at a display of cards.

"Not me in particular, but my customers need their cards and decorations."

"No date for Valentine's?"

"A date? I'm not ready to date when you broke up with me less than two months ago. To be honest, I'm still confused about the reason things ended between us."

"Will, you don't want to have this conversation right here, right now," she says with annoyance.

"If not now, then when? Tell me, straight to my face, why did you break up with me?"

Nicole looks pissed, but I don't care.

"You are lousy in bed."

"What? That can't be it."

"You don't know what the hell you are doing most of the time."

"So all your moans and the other stuff..."

"It was fake. And what's with your tongue when you kiss? I've received less sloppy kisses from dogs."

Nicole lifts her purse higher on her shoulder and leaves. I'm frozen to my spot, feeling shocked and humiliated. I've only had three girlfriends in my life and been intimate with as many. Is that the reason things didn't work out with them? For the first time since she sent me the text, I feel hot tears going down my cheeks. Is this even something that I can fix?

Suddenly, I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Will, are you okay? What's going on?"

Thomas stands next to me. I've been so troubled by my thoughts that I didn't even hear the door open. His face shows so much concern that I feel moved and let out a sob. My brother holds me in a hug and I'm thankful because I need it more than ever.