Chapter 5 - Didier

DIDIER

With a heavy heart, I make the last trip up the stairs to the apartment that Mom used to rent. Her lovely neighbors have been kind enough to pack her belongings for me to bring away.

In the past months, I saw how fast her body weakened. She was bedridden after a nasty fall in the bathroom, a consequence from Parkinson's disease. The diagnosis came early in her life and combined with the strain on her body after a whole life performing as an acrobat, it sped the inevitable. Mom passed away peacefully in her sleep and even though my heart broke into pieces, I felt relieved that she was resting in peace and not suffering from so much pain.

As I stop in front of the apartment belonging to Mrs. Torres, I hear the noise of clinking cups and conversation inside, so no doubt she has company. I hesitate about interrupting her, but knock on her door, anyway. She smiles broadly at my sight and opens the door wider.

"Didier! How are you, boy?" She kisses my cheek.

"I'm doing fine, thanks. How are you today?"

"I've seen better days," she chuckles. "Cecilia is also here. Would you like some coffee?"

Mrs. Torres and Mrs. Cole befriended my mom the moment she moved into the building. I had to convince my Mom that people could be friendly without wanting something back. After spending her whole life in a touring circus, she learned not to trust anybody. The one time she trusted someone, she ended up pregnant with me. He worked in the circus's crew and was married to another performer. Rumors say that he loved her, but promised her a divorce that never happened.

"Hi, Mrs. Cole," I wave at my mom's friend and turn again to Mrs. Torres. "Thanks for the coffee offer, but I will pass this time. Although, if you have one of those delicious coconut cookies you make, I will gladly accept one of those."

"Since I knew you were coming, I made you some," she walks towards the kitchen and comes back with a huge zipped plastic bag filled with the sweets.

"Ah, Mrs. Torres, you are the best!" I give her a hug and feel thrilled with my new bounty.

"You deserve that and more for being such a good boy. Let me get you the apartment key. Goodwill picked all the furniture yesterday and her personal things are in boxes in the living room area. I'm still so sorry for losing such an incredible neighbor and friend."

"I'll miss her forever," I say, and Mrs. Torres pats my cheek.

Before I turn into a sobbing mess, I kiss both lovely ladies goodbye and head to my mom's apartment down the hallway. Everything is bare and her essence is gone. Now it's only a space ready for another tenant. I stack the boxes that feel quite heavy, and hold the bag of cookies in my mouth and head down the stairs. There's no one at the small office in the lobby, so I throw the key in the mailbox and walk to my car.

Before I head home, I should give my contact details to the ladies. They are both widows and their ungrateful kids barely come to visit and when they do is to ask for money. I can help them run errands and anything else they could need me for.

As I turn around, I bump against something solid, since the boxes block my view. Someone curses and I put the boxes on the floor as quickly as I can only to find I hurt a lady.

"I'm sorry, so sorry," I say as I help her up. "I was careless when I turned around. Let me help you gather your stuff."

The woman looks at me with annoyance as I pick up the contents that spilled from her purse. Her phone seems to be okay, but her little makeup box is in pieces. A lipstick with a lost cap lies further on the sidewalk and is completely ruined.