Chapter 20 - Coffee

THOMAS

It's been some time since I've been so sick. Will assumed that it was due to me eating leftover appetizers and pastries, but that's not completely true. I've eaten more than that on other occasions, with maybe a slight heartburn as a result. In the last days, I wasn't feeling completely fine and the food I ate was just the catalyst. Abigail and Didier have been taking care of our business while I took some time to recover and I felt grateful and at peace, leaving everything in their capable hands.

Today I'm back to my responsibilities and I feel like a new man. Partly because I stopped throwing up and because I slept as long as I could. To begin my day, I park my car close to O'Briens and hope that Mom hasn't spoke with them to forbid them from selling goods to me. I'm only functional after one of Marissa's pecan pastries.

Marissa is working the counter this morning, and I take a little time to watch her through the front window. She moves quickly as she packs sweets and breakfast items for customers, all while chatting with them and sending them their way with a big smile. In the last days, I've been thinking about her and concluded that Will is wrong, I can't be in love with her. She's just a good friend, someone I've known my whole life and nothing else. I may plan happily ever afters, but it doesn't mean that I believe in them. I have lived through enough experiences that have taught me how fragile are commitments. Will and Nicole were engaged, and she replaced him in no time. Mom is a widower and Abigail didn't even make it to her wedding after what the dick did to her. What is the purpose of hoping for a forever after when eventually things end? People judge my bachelor lifestyle and I can't understand what is so wrong about it. I enjoy life without suffering from loss or dependence. If there's anything I could complain about is not having someone to talk with when I get home. I have Rosita, who can be a great listener but can't talk back.

Marissa looks out the window and gives me a friendly wave when she sees me. My heart does a strange flip, and it unsettles me. I don't want a relationship with Marissa or anyone else. Shaking the thoughts out of my head, I enter the bakery and the display of pastries has me so enthralled that I slam into a person carrying a tray of coffees. The pain on my chest and legs from the hot liquid stings and I let out a curse mixed with a yell.

"LUKE! I need help!" Marissa shouts.

All I could do is clench my teeth and fists as I try to deal with the burns. I feel hands on my arms, guiding me to walk somewhere and I keep my eyes closed.

"Can you sit down?" Marissa asks me, and I nod.

"I got the gel here. Do you need anything else?"

"Wet some towels with water at room temperature. Can you send someone to clean the mess? Shit, that's red..." She says after opening the buttons of my shirt carefully. "Thomas, we need to get your trousers off."

Marissa smears something that cools the burned spots on my chest and I open my eyes to find myself at the back office. I stand up and take my pants off. My thighs are red and look as painful as they feel.

"Here you go," a guy gives Marissa a tray with towels. "The spill is almost gone. I'll man the counter until you are back."

"Thank you, Luke."

Marissa places the towels over my legs and the skin cools off. She grabs a wireless phone from the desk and punches a number.

"Abigail? Thomas and a customer bumped a moment ago, and he's gotten hot coffee all over his thighs and chest... I don't think he needs to go to the hospital, because we have good medicine here since we burn ourselves all the time. He will need dry clothes, also shoes... Thank you, Abi. I will see you in a bit," she hangs up the call and goes back to applying a gel on my burns. "Your sister will swing by your house to pick clothes for you. Is the gel giving you relief?"