Chapter 36 - Circus Tent

WILLIAM

The first thing my eyes focus on as I wake up are the empty wrappers of taffy on the night table. The memories of last night make me smile and I'm glad I got to share them with London. If we ever have children, I hope I can give them the same experiences. Something they can cherish even more when they are adults.

Today, we will witness the commitment of unconditional love of two special people. We've worked hard to make Carter and Dennis' dreams come true. I must admit the idea of realizing a circus-themed wedding had me doubtful, but once I sat down to work on the stationery, I wished we would do more themed weddings like this.

Jimmy's loud snore makes me look at him and I snap a photo while he sleeps deeply while clutching to a little teddy bear Grayson won for him last night. He had a mean ball throw and admitted to having played baseball when he was younger. Jimmy watched him with admiration as he tumbled those cans effortlessly. Even the guy manning the game station was impressed.

"Jimmy, wake up. We need to get started," I pull the covers back and cover him again as quickly. "Why on earth are you naked?"

"Oh... Am I?" He sits on the bed and looks groggily around. "I must have pulled my boxer off while sleeping," he rummages under the covers, pulls the piece of underwear and throws it in a corner. 

"Why did you get your boxer off? Never mind, I don't want to know."

"What time is it?" He says as he gets out of bed.

"What the... It's too early to watch this," I shield my eyes as he walks around the room.

"What's the problem? You have the same junk as me," he shrugs as he gets a clean pair of boxers from his suitcase.

"Exactly my point. I don't need to see yours," I say as I get out of bed and head to get my clothes for today ready. "Hey, are you as curious as me about what Didier has planned? Only Thomas has seen it and it impressed him."

"Not even Abigail knows the details. She overheard him discussing with the rental company about bolting a table to the ground. It's quite an odd request, right?"

"Peculiar. Maybe when we get there we'll hear more," I get my phone from the dresser and see I have a message from Thomas. "We are meeting in the lobby. Then we'll head for breakfast at the café next to the hotel."

"What's wrong with the restaurant here?" Jimmy asks from inside the bathroom and I wonder the same.

We meet with Thomas, Abigail and Didier in the lobby and head to the café. Thomas explains that several guests are staying at the hotel and he wants to be out of earshot while discussing last-minute details. Brian Connor recommended going to the café and let his friend Charlie know he sent us.

When we arrive, Charlie Monroe, the café owner, receives us and it seems Brian gave him a heads up because he brings us to a corner table away from the rest of the early diners where we can discuss our plans. The food isn't only excellent. It's the best bread I've tasted in my life. Even better than O'Brien's.

At the fairgrounds, Brian waits for us sitting on the stairs of his house and then escorts us to a place where we can park by the venue. As we get closer, the trees part to show a white tent.

"Not very circus-like," Jimmy says.

"Wait for it," Abigail answers with a knowing smile.

Next to the tent, white chairs with sky blue bows are perfectly aligned in front of a gazebo that has been decorated with garlands of red roses and tiny red apples. Ambers comes down a ladder and examines her work.

"Not that I have ever doubted you," Thomas begins. "But this is one of the most stunning projects you've ever done for us."

"It is, right? The flowers guide me, I don't guide them. I can sketch whatever you want, but it will never be the same when I make them. The rest of my team is inside with Victoria. Since the catering wasn't here, I had to put the rest of the flowers in the fridge at the Connors. Bless them. I've never come across people so helpful and kind."