Chapter 18 - Substitute

DIDIER

Managing a wedding on my own was never in the plans. Thomas let me take the lead in the planning of this one since it was a simple event, but I never imagined I would be the one running the show. William drives behind me and that gives me so much comfort. Since I started working for the Morgans, one thing became clear: they always have each other's back.

We park at the manor's service area and I get out of my new second-hand car. My old tuna can was embarrassing and now that I'm making a decent amount of money, it was time for something else. Clutching to Thomas magical suitcase with his tablet and every possible item to deal with an emergency, Will and I head inside.

"Hey, guys! What do you think?" Amber looks momentarily over her shoulder as she takes in her work.

"It's incredibly beautiful. Feels like spring in here," I gaze around and admire the arrangements of pastel colored tulips. The weather outside is cold with a chance of rain, but in here it's like a happy sunny day.

"That was what I was going for. Hey, where is Thomas?" She realizes that it's just us two.

"In bed, suffering from a pastry and appetizers indulgence," Will smirks as he enjoys the scent of a flower arrangement. "Didier will manage the event today, and I will assist him."

"Indulgence... Meaning puking his guts out," she shakes her head. "Does he still has a crush on Marissa O'Brien?"

"It's so obvious, right? Everybody has noticed it, but himself," Will laughs.

"He's only fooling himself. Marissa came to pick edible flowers for cupcakes and found Thomas and I discussing the flowers for the Shaw-Tate wedding. He got so annoyingly hyperactive when he saw her and started talking loudly. It was like one of those monkeys that puffs itself and makes loud noises when he wants to mate," she laughs.

"A howler monkey," I say, and they turn to look at me with curiosity. "I have seen my good share of wild animals, real or in documentaries," I shrug.

"Well, indeed, like a howler monkey. He left after the wild display of affection, and Marissa and I were left alone. While packing her stuff, I casually asked her if she was interested in Thomas. Without a second of hesitation, she said she does."

"The biggest problem is that Thomas is allergic to commitment. He's stated that he doesn't want to get married and that seems to be something the girls he's dated wished for," Will says.

"Maybe he just needs the right girl to change his mind," I say. "Marissa and him would be good for each other."

"No doubt there," Will says. "We can only hope that he makes a move soon, before it's too late."

Amber finishes the last decorations in the manor and says goodbye. The caterer arrives, followed by the photographer, and the three-piece jazz band I hired for the occasion. While our vendors are setting up, the bride arrives together with her mother.

"Hello, Adalyn. Hello, Mrs. Hudson. How are you doing today?" I say to welcome them and motion for them to follow me to the dressing room upstairs.

"I don't know about how Mom feels, but it's like a bittersweet moment," Adalyn says with a trembling lip. "I'm happy that I'm marrying Joel, but I miss my father so much and wish he could have been here."

Thomas told me her father passed a month ago. As someone who's lost a parent recently, I understand the feelings.

"I miss him enormously, my dear," her mom caresses her cheek. "He was my first love. I'm sure he's here in spirit with us. Is Thomas around? He asked me for my late husband's photo."